Find
Notify
Tools

Grip Cap Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I have an old Pachmayr size 15 (very large) grip cap that I am re-fitting to a refinished stock.

The cap is made of a hard plastic material, and is held on with a centered screw.

There is a steel oval that is fitted into the center of the grip cap (over the screw that holds it on) and that was originally held in place by a tight fit and some kind of glue.

With a little heat and gentle tapping and prying, the steel center came out of its recess in the grip cap when I took the cap off the stock to refinish it.

Anyone know what kind of semi-permanent glue would be good to use in putting the steel oval back on?

Ideally, it will hold the oval in place, but be removable as described above.

Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not a drop of supper glue. It's strong enough to hold it but weak enough to be removed down the road. That or Duco cement. We use that to hold fletching on arrows it's strong stuff but not permanent

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I think I'll try the Duco to start with.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might consider using LocTite blue.
LocTite will adhere to both metal and plastic.
The blue will release with application of some heat.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote