THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone have a good idea for breaking loose Rocksett?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a good idea for breaking loose Rocksett?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,
I've a Rem700 that was put together by GA Precision. I've made a deal to sell the gun, but the buyer isn't taking it with the AAC mount. I'm assuming GA Precision installed it using Rocksett, since that is what AAC provides with the mount.

I've read that it's 'water soluable', but I've soaked this thing for nearly two days in my heated, ultrasonic cleaner, and it's still not breaking loose. Since the rifle has been Ceracoated, I don't want to use a real barrel vise on it, as I'm sure it'll hurt the finish, but I do have an internal holding fixture that fits the rails and lugs of the Remington action. But, I don't want to unscrew the barrel before the mount unscrews from the action. To make matters worse, they say to use a ⅞" Open end wrench on it, and it feels a bit big and wants to round off those little corners.

Any other good ideas?

Posts: 1344 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No idea what that is but any adhesive will be destroyed by enough heat.

Posts: 17256 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Rocksett is good up over 2000 degrees, so I'm sure I'd mess up the Cerakote by then.

Posts: 1344 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Flexbar a call and see what they have to say.

https://www.flexbar.com/

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Dunno the answer but to have such stuff water soluble for use on hunting equipment doesn't seem a good idea, anyway.

Posts: 5061 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you could give GA Precision a call and ask them what they would recommend. Certainly they have run into this before.

This is from the Rocksett website:

"The only way to break a proper Rocksett bond is to soak the part in hot water for 20 minutes or more and then forcibly remove the components."

Posts: 3764 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Water is THE way to break down rocksett. Learned this the hard way, completely tore the threads off a S&W MP22 barrel. Heat just makes it more tenacious. Have broken down many since using water soak overnight. Sounds like water is not getting to the stuff because of the cerakote? Unless a customer absolutely insists on using it, because it came with the trick device they want installed, I throw it in the trash.
Have taken many a cerakoted barrel off without leaving marks, just use a slip of paper between your bushing and the barrel.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oops; 2000 degrees? wow. Ok just melt the bases off then.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Boiling water.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand how and why anyone would use a water soluble (glue?) on a rifle, that just might, be taken out into the rain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I freed a Zeiss 'scope from the mounts that it had been glued in to! by putting it in a freezer for three days.

Yes some people are that stupid. It came from a gunshop in Paris. The glue was Araldite.

For metals when frozen contract at different rates.That may be enough to break the bond?

It was for me. And that Zeiss 'scope? Never even fogged when I looked through it after wiping the frost off the lens.

If not wet the join and hope that the freezing and the water expanding as it freezes will do the job.

Then as soon as it out of the freezer pour boiling water down the rifle barrel using a funnel but NOT the actual join?

Posts: 6819 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GAP may not have used Rocksett. Might be red loctite?? Run it up to 425 and see if it breaks loose. Or better yet, call them first and see what they used. Everything else here is just throwing darts and guessing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today, I'm going to try a few different things to see if I can get it broke loose. One will be the boiling water, but I don't actually have much hope for that if my heated ultrasonic cleaner didn't do anything after a couple days. The other will be to hit it with the torch to see if maybe it's actually Loctite.

If that doesn't work, I'll call GAP, as I doubt there is anyone answering the phones on Memorial Day Weekend.

If none of that helps, I've a buddy that runs a local gas supplier, and he says I can come dip it into one of his liquid nitrogen tanks. That might be enought to bust up the ceramic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might be better off finding another buyer who will accept the base. I'm afraid the rifle is going to get buggered and the guy will walk. Then you are really stuck with it. A previous poster mentioned that the Cerakote may have been applied after assembly and has sealed access to water. I'm thinking this may be the case. When you call GA Precision ask them what they would charge to remove it. If it is reasonable you will be miles ahead paying them to do it. Don't get impatient. I see buggered guns everyday that people got in a hurry with.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Funny; half my customers have already tried to fix it, with predicable results. I have most of them trained not to F with it; just bring it to me. Not loose in a box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The AAC mount is for a suppressor. It's not on the action, but threaded to the end of the barrel.

It looks like the mount was screwed on after the barrel was cerakoted. I'd guess the threads are not ceracoted, but left in the white, and then the Rocksett used. If nothing else, I'd expect the water to get in from the muzzle side if it's too close a tolerance on the back side.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we also have a group of customers who are students at the "Jim Beam" School of Gunsmithing. 2020 One brought in a Winchester pump he had mauled with a hammer trying to get the barrel off. Split the forend in half, bent the barrel ring, dented the barrel, and crushed the threaded end of the mag tube.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Funny; half my customers have already tried to fix it, with predicable results. I have most of them trained not to F with it; just bring it to me. Not loose in a box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
When it comes in, in "kit" form", if you train them through their wallet sometimes they get the hint!

Posts: 710 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stokes:
Hey guys,
I've a Rem700 that was put together by GA Precision. I've made a deal to sell the gun, but the buyer isn't taking it with the AAC mount. I'm assuming GA Precision installed it using Rocksett, since that is what AAC provides with the mount.

I've read that it's 'water soluable', but I've soaked this thing for nearly two days in my heated, ultrasonic cleaner, and it's still not breaking loose. Since the rifle has been Ceracoated, I don't want to use a real barrel vise on it, as I'm sure it'll hurt the finish, but I do have an internal holding fixture that fits the rails and lugs of the Remington action. But, I don't want to unscrew the barrel before the mount unscrews from the action. To make matters worse, they say to use a ⅞" Open end wrench on it, and it feels a bit big and wants to round off those little corners.

Any other good ideas?

How 'bout an update ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

I tried it all. Nothing let loose. When I talked to George at GA Precision, he said that Rocksett, AAC 51T and suppressor shooting often makes them never want to come apart. He told me my best bet is just to cut it off and start over.

While I was hesitant to use the barrel vise and mess up the Cerakote, that's what I've been using (there really is no other good way to hold it when applying that kind of torque). It did not spin, nor leave any marks, so I'm glad.

The flats of teh 51T quick stripped away, so it was time to just muscle it off with a pipe wrench (another piece of advise from George).

Both the internal and external threads are now gone. But it's off. I'll just set it back ¾" and rethread. I'll throw away the left overs of the 51T, or try to turn it into some sort of fun trinket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
....Both the internal and external threads are now gone. But it's off. ....

That's why I throw the shit in the trash.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WITF do they attach it with that crap? Totally unnecessary. Just use some blue Loctite for crying out loud or machine in a flat and use a set screw. Jeez! Danged if I wouldn't ask them to pay for the cut and re-thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Stokes:
UPDATE:

I tried it all. Nothing let loose. When I talked to George at GA Precision, he said that Rocksett, AAC 51T and suppressor shooting often makes them never want to come apart. He told me my best bet is just to cut it off and start over.

While I was hesitant to use the barrel vise and mess up the Cerakote, that's what I've been using (there really is no other good way to hold it when applying that kind of torque). It did not spin, nor leave any marks, so I'm glad.

The flats of teh 51T quick stripped away, so it was time to just muscle it off with a pipe wrench (another piece of advise from George).

Both the internal and external threads are now gone. But it's off. I'll just set it back ¾" and rethread. I'll throw away the left overs of the 51T, or try to turn it into some sort of fun trinket.