New
Find
Notify
Tools

bi-pods
 Login/Join

<toto>
posted
I couldn't find a accessories catagory so I hope this is ok. I am thinking of getting a bi-pod for hunting. My STW has a 27" heavy barrel on it and it is a little too heavy to hold on target. Which bi-pod do you consider to be the best for hunting from prone & setting position. The only ones that I've seen are the B-Square that are sold at Academy Sporting. Thanks. fws

posted Hide Post
Toto,

I think Harris are pretty much the name in bipods. They do several versions including one for prone and a longer one for sitting. I have both models but only use the prone version on a .223 for shooting foxes. For deer stalking I have settled for a pair of telescoping cross sticks. All closed up they are great for sitting and kneeling whilst fully extended they good for standing shots.
I much prefer these to the bipod as I find carrying a rifle and bipod a real pain; the bipod really messes up the balance of the rifle. It sounds like you could do with out the additional weight under your rifle. Another trick I used and which worked far better than the cost suggested was to cut down one of those cheap $2 rod rests from a fishing tackle shop. You end up with a lightweight "Y" shaped rest about 15 inches long which can be easily pushed into the ground for prone shots. When not in use it slips through one of your belt hoops....If you do loose it, no great deal at $2 a time...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<toto>
posted
Pete, thanks for the info. I thank your right the shooting sticks would probably work better. I am looking at the Stony Point sticks. Thanks again. fws

one of us
posted Hide Post
HARRIS..... I never leave home without it.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bipods? I never leave home with one!! [Confused]

[Confused] I learned to shoot as a kid and havn't forgotten how, so I don't need all that cumbersome junk on one of my good rifles, sorry boys that's just the way I sees it!! [Razz]

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Ray but bi pods really make hitting out past 200 easy. I shoot harris have several all seem to work good. I don't use them on by woods rifles but my long range stuff has them on.

Posts: 19442 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Check out www.snipepod.com

I tried out JJHACK's in Africa this year, and I am sold. I think it would be the cat's meow for hunting in open places for sheep, goat and the like. Lighter, quickly adjustable for cant, quick to set up....

I will have a Harris bipod or two for sale if anyone is interested. [Wink]

[Smile] Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting Canuck. Thanks. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<David Boren>
posted
HARRIS!!! No better. I have one, its steady... like a rock. I got the pivoting one, which is great for un even ground, but if you are shooting from the bench and have a pivoting bipod you might as well take the bipod off and sandbag the rifle. I have the 25C a 13.5-27 inch model, so it is too tall to use on the bench anyways. Get the Harris, thats all there is too it.

<1GEEJAY>
posted
HEY'
I have three Harris Pods.Only use them at the bench.Great for sighting in new scopes,and working up loads.Once I get to where I want to be,off they come.I then sight in off a bag,because the impact point is usually different without the pod.Works for me.
geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a Harris this last weekend to help me make a successful 470m shot at a springbok from the sitting position - they work!

That said, I have a B-square Rototilt (the shorty one) on my 22-250 and that also works well, nothing finer for varminting dassies from the bonnet of a Land Rover.

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I give....what are "dassies"? [Smile]

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ray. I learned how to shoot without a bipod, and I think they are nothing but extra weight. My wife thought she had to have one, so I bought her a Harris. She tried to use it for several trips to the range and found out she shot much faster and about as accurately without it.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Toto,

You can check the snipercountry.com website for reviews on bipods.

I have a Steyr Scout with integral bipod and I have used it for two things: a rest for cleaning the rifle, and as a rest to keep it off the ground when I put it down. It just seems not to get used in the field. But that rifle has a very light 19" barrel and an excellent sling.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<toto>
posted
I appreciate all the response and after reviewing everything I will probably stay with what has always worked " make do ". Ray, like you I learned from shooting at cat squirells off hand with a Rem.22 single shot I bought in about 1954 I also owned a mod.37win. 12ga. single shot back then wish I still had both. Thanks again. fws

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes

Sorry for the late reply! - A dassie is a hyrax, or rock rabbit. They live in the rocks and get to about 4 kg. Something similar to a marmot or woodchuck, I think.

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote