New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ralph Bone's lathe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Uncle is trying to get a ballpark price on Ralph's lathe. It will be for sale. It is an Atlas 10x36 and will do threading. If you have any ideas or questions contact Bill at clarke.bill@sbcglobal.net
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to "practical machinist" and check on similar lathes, or post a question.
You are not going to retire on what you get for it.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawkins, that is my Uncle's post on Practical Machinest. We have no interest in this other than getting Mrs. Bone the most for Ralph"s tools. We realize that it is an inexpensive lathe, but do we sell it for a $100 when she might get $750 for it? Ralph did not leave her much and my Uncle and his brother are trying to help her the best that they can.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Hawkins:

Let me know what tooling goes with it, and the condition overall of the machine (pictures would help) and I can probably give you good idea of its value. My dad frequently buys and sell used machine tools.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Hawkins, that is my Uncle's post on Practical Machinest. We have no interest in this other than getting Mrs. Bone the most for Ralph"s tools. We realize that it is an inexpensive lathe, but do we sell it for a $100 when she might get $750 for it? Ralph did not leave her much and my Uncle and his brother are trying to help her the best that they can.
Butch

Is this the Ralph Bone, engraver, from the Tulsa Oklahoma area?? Has something happened to him? Please advise. His tables were always across the isle from me at the Wanenmarchers show in Tulsa.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir,
Ralph has passed away.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
was he also the knifemaker in the 70's.great guy.kim

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there any information about him? When did he pass and any contact information for his wife?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IB404,
I think that Ralph died on the first of Dec. He lived in Owosso.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear that, I first met him years ago when he was building knives. Then I saw him at the Tulsa show a year or two back showing some incredible engraving he did on a Colt. He was a very talented man. Rest in peace.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, there are likely as many lathes sold on eBay as anywhere else. Buyers are generally always local, but it is a good forum to advertise.

I spent a lot of time a couple of years ago looking for a lathe in this range. Ended up buying a 13" South Bend, but I looked at a lot of 10" ones. Atlas equipment is popular but not as expensive or heavy built as South Bend, Clausing etc. I will throw out a range, based on the numerous lathes I looked at.

I am assuming this is a working lathe in decent condition. I would gues that it would go for 500-600 if a "user" without a lot of attachments. If it is pristine (good paint) 700-800. If it is pristine with a lot of attachments such as center rest, follower, centers, multiple good chucks etc, it might go up to 1500. Attachments on a small lathe have a heavy influence on price.

Unless it is a parts lathe, it is worth a lot more than 100, and may be worth more than that for parts.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art,
I think you are spot on. He was very particular with it and it shows no wear. We also know that it is a light hobbiest lathe. Ralph only used it for small parts. I will try to find out what else they may be trying to sell.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,
You might check with Jan Billeb at the ACGG. She may let your uncle place a free ad in The Gunmaker to help dispose of some of his tools. Ralph was very well liked by the folks there and some I am sure would like to lend a hand and have some of his tools in the bargain.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chic,
I will pass this on to Bill.
Butch