New
Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. Source for FZH Mauser actions!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was perusing Roger Green's web site and found that he is importing FZH actions. Here are some details:

Long Magnum right hand:
$3850.00

Long Magnum left hand $4200.00
Standard right hand: $3500.00
Standard left hand: $3750.00
*Short right hand: $3500.00
*Short left hand: $3750.00
*All special ordered actions require a 50% payment at time of order. Prices are subject to change without notice.

If I recall correctly, these actions come un-hardened, and need must be hardened before any rounds are fired. Although spendy for middle class fellas like me, this seems like a great value. A couple of our most well respected member gunmakers have had nothing but great things to say about these things. Pre-War mauser all the way. They seem to come standard as double square bridge, but can be special ordered as single, or with no bridge.

No offence to Granite Mountain, Satterlee, and Prectle, but these are the real value in the high end Mauser action market. The other guys may make great stuff, but these seem a lot closer to what Mauser was making before Oberndorf got bombed. Hope Roger sells a pile of them.

NECG quoted me $4500 for a magnum Prectle a couple of years ago.

I've read a negative thread about Roger Green here on AR (It wasn't regarding his business practices). I don't know the guy from Adam, and have not yet talked to him. I mention this just to say that if you have something bad to say about him, please take it somewhere else. This thread is about FZH actions and their availability. Thanks
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More info from Roger Green's website:

Oberndorf Styled Mauser System 98

Feinmechanische Zerspanungs GmbH manufactures a near copy of the Original Oberndorf Mauser Double Square Bridged actions. These actions are very similar in design and finish as those provided by the famed Hartmann and Weiss Company of Hamburg, Germany. Actions are available in 3 sizes for the right and left handed shooter. FZH actions come complete with all newly manufactured parts, bottom metal, 3-position model 70 styled safety and without a trigger. Long Magnum length action accommodates cartridges like 505 Gibbs, 450&416 Rigby, *460/375 Wby, 404 Jeffery, *340/300 Wby, 375/300 H&H. The standard length action accommodates cartridges like 458 Win Mag, 300 Win Mag, 30/06, and 7X57. Short size actions are designed for cartridges like the 300 WSM, 284 Win, 308 Win and 22-250. Optional by *special order, single square bridge, take-down system, integral scope mounting systems and other custom features. FZH actions are designed for the professional gunmaker who is familiar with final fitting and finishing. Case hardening or color case hardening of the action/bolt and all stress parts is necessary prior to live firing.

Extra depth magazine boxes are standard on Long Magnum actions. Optional are standard depth magazine boxes: Standard and short actions come with standard depth magazine boxes. Actions can be ordered without bottom metal, follower, follower spring and action screws: Deduct: $500.00

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just learned that FZH actually makes Hartman and Weiss' actions to their specs. Who'd-a-thunk-it!

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are FZH actions kept as an in-stock item by Mr .Green?
If actions needs to be ordered, what is the typical delivery time?
The fact that one can choose to delete bottom metal and other parts, is a helpful option.

Prechtl will also supply an action in the soft, if so required.

Who told you that FZH makes the H&W M98 actions?
I asked because even Mike Roden of GMA when I spoke with him at SCI,
once tried to give the impression that he made actions for H&W,...
..When I met and spoke with Ralf Martini about it the next day, he was astounded that he would make that claim,
Ralf stated he has been to H&W in Germany, and himself witnessed the actions being made in their shop.
Ralf Martini offers to build rifles on GMA,FZH or H&W actions.

H&W make new actions in Kurz and long Magnum length, but do not make a new std.M98 length.
Its possible HW may order new std.M98 length actions,from FZH.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Considering that Blaser (who owns Mauser) is supposed to start manufacturing their own M98 actions again versus buying from someone else, I think we should wait and see what they are going to offer before shelling out money for a FZH action.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
AH, I think your're onto what Rigby is supposed to be doing. Now that they are owned by the same parent company and have moved back to London, there is an effort to re-establish the Rigby/Mauser connection as it had been before all the mess of moving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just contacted Mr. Green yesterday about some other stuff he sells. He has 4 FZH actions in stock. I did not ask what calibers they are set up for.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Considering that Blaser (who owns Mauser) is supposed to start manufacturing their own M98 actions again versus buying from someone else, I think we should wait and see what they are going to offer before shelling out money for a FZH action.

Don't see why you would want to wait on Mauser, because Mauser is just a name now. No real connection to the original company.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:

Don't see why you would want to wait on Mauser, because Mauser is just a name now. No real connection to the original company.

On top of that, Blaser may not sell their mauser action as a component. If they do, I'm guessing they would cost you more than an FZH. That may all depend on what price the importer chooses to sell them.

I'm curious

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Blackburn (Made by swift) 416 Rigby bottom metal. It is supposed to fit the pre-war Oberdorf Magnum mauser. Does anyone who has maybe dealt with the FZH and this bottom metal know if the Balckburn bottom metal will fit the FZH. It might save me some bucks ($500) if I ever decided to buy an FZH magnum for a 416/450 Rigby. If the FZH's come with no feed work needed I would probably be spinning my wheels. I'm guessing I might end up spending $500 just to get the Blackburn to feed correctly. I've tried to sell the Blackburn 416 bottom metal, but there just isn't much of a market for it. Maybe this is a useful option (How's that for a thinly veiled shameless plug to get someone to buy it.)

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much would it cost [out of interest]to finish one of these actions ?
e.g cost of hardening action ?
polishing ,finishing ?

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote