New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bolt action for 250-3000
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Blue - Shortening a 98 would be a "classy" approach, but I could probably buy a 98 Kurz rifle for what it would cost.

Chic - I had not considered a small ring Mauser, but that is a possibility. How hard are they to find these days?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A Mexican Mauser would be a natural. Small ring, short length. Will require a fair amount of polishing, gunsmithing, but very classy.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Glen

As I am sure you are well aware, when you are talking about custom rifles, the components are the least of your costs. I don't understand why you would worry about the cost of shortening an action when that cost would be much less significant than the labor cost for a custom stock and the labor cost for engraving, etc.

As for 1910 mexican actions, I happen to have a couple of them for sale. One is in fair shape, one is in great shape. they are getting hard to come by, and thus, like other small ring actions such as the vz-33 and the g33-40 (of which I have two that are not for sale) they are getting expensive.

I still think the way to go would be to shorten a good masuer or a good winchester. Probably in the neighborhood of about $500.00. If you want to see how it is done, get ahold of a copy of Mitchell's Gun Digest book on Riflesmithing. There is a whole chapter in that book on shortening an action.

The other thing you could do would be to talk Montanna Action company into selling you a WAX action and Bolt. Wax would be much easier to work with than steel. You could take an inch out of both the action and the bolt and then have it cast.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
blue - Perhaps I was overestimating the costs of shortening an action. I have never gotten a quote for such work. If it's truly a $500 job, I'll take two!

IF I were to have that done, I would seriously consider creating a second, "stretched" action at the same time. That would be a Kurz length and a 375 H&H length. BTW, I am quite familiar with Mitchell's book. I have two copies (long story)!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just as an exercise, can the Mark X mini with the .453 bolt face be opened up a little? Its a pretty little booger when its cleaned up some.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which bolt actions (other than an original "Kurz" Mauser) are suitably proportioned for the 250-3000 cartridge?

<9.3x62>
posted
By "suitably proportioned" I presume you mean something that is designed for a 2.55ish OAL. I presume this means you have a "thing" about wasted mag space. If not, then I'd go with a 722 or 7 or 700 SA, in that order. The mags come in at about 2.8" exactly. Anyway, what I've done, instead of finding an action to fit the 250-3000, is to modify the 250-3000 to make use of the 0.2" of extra mag space by having the barrel installer cut a longer throat in the rifle. This does little to hurt accuracy of the mild Rem and Win factory loads, which I've never had shoot very well in any 250-3000 I've owned (not to mention that they aren't even close to the cartridges potential in a strong bolt gun). Heavier bullets are thus given an advantage (I shoot 100 gr and heavier exclusively in my 250s). The standard throat on a 250-3000 is quite short...

Anyway, just a thought...

one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted Hide Post
Our N-1 Action has a magazine length of 2.5. Visit www.rifleactions.com for more information. Click on Actions then on available calibers.

Karl
karl@rifleactions.com
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
right on cue.

<Guest>
posted
tincan

right on cue!

<Guest>
posted
Glen

two months ago there was a very interesting article in OUtdoor Life written by Jim Carmeichal. The article was about his favorite deer rifles. One of his favorites was a 250 Savage that was made up on a mauser that had been cut in half, an inch removed, and then reweleded back together.
The guy that did the job was Ron Lampert here in Minnesota, although I am told that he is now retired. However, there are still many smiths that will do that kind of work for you, althoug it would not be cheap. If you have it done, make sure and use a quality action, and make sure that you will want to keep the gun for a long time in order to get your money out of it by the enjoyment that you have from using it and admiring it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen, how would a 1910 Mexican work? I would think it would be natural. Looking forward to seeing you again this year. I just got the OEJ together. Need to blue a few screws for it but it may have to wait until I get home.

Tincan, what is with that comment?

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
blue, it is interesting that you mentioned Lampert. A friend who posts here under the name of Grandview took a seminar in Oklahoma that was taught by Phil Pilkington and Lampert. He has been trying to track them down for some time. He will no doubt be interested if you know where he is. Grandview lives in Wisconsin.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Customstocks

I talked to Ron on the phone last october as I was trying to talk him into doing a bit of work for me. He told me to come up and "visit" with him before he would decide if he would do the work, as he is officially "semi-retired. If your friend would like information, have him email me as I am not sure that Ron would like his info plastered on a forum such as this one now that he has retired.

Blue