New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this a bad idea?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a CZ in .375H&H. For me the rifle is too heavy for the caliber so I am looking to shed some weight. I have swapped the American stock for a hogback(love it!) and am in the process of reshaping the cheeck piece and forend. This stock was used and bedded by the previous owner. Here is my plan, I want to remove the bedding in the for end and remove the F block then fill that area with bedding compound. I feel that this will help drop about 4 oz. The when it goes off to the smith I will have a couple of inches taken off the barrel. This should help get the weight down to where I want it.

What do you think? Can the removal of the F block cause damage to the stock even though that area will be bedded? I realize that the .375 is not a heavy recoiling rifle relativly speaking.

What is the best way to remove the bedding? Dremel tool or chemically?

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dremel tools are bad, Mkay. Seriously, watch it with Dremel tools and stocks. They can get away from you in a hurry. Bedding isn't that hard to remove by hand.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
billhilly66, yea I know a dremel can get away. I might use it to get the heavy stuff off then maybe an old wood chisel? Think that would work?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fireman, I think it would be a bad idea to remove the forward barrel lug if that's what you are thinking of doing.
I think that if you have to loose weight shortening the barrel and maybe hollowing the buttstock would be viable first options. If they don't loose you enough weight you should go to a Fibercarbon style stock...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, this is the loose piece in the forend not the one on the barrel. Still the barrel lug does butt up against it. Wouldn't steel bedding compound do the same thing?

I had thought about hollowing the butt, would you then fill it in with a low expansion foam to maintain strength?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
chisels=good Dremels=bad
DJ is right. Probably a bad idea to remove the recoil lug. A McMillan stock with glass pillar bedding will get the weight down.

Libertatis Aequilibritas

Posts: 570 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Firman, Ok, I thought that you were thinking of removing the barrel lug. I had a CZ in 9,3x62 that had the forend lug glass bedded. Glass bedding the forend lug probably works better than the steel plate in the forend. I don't think the foam in the rear adds too much strength. Just be sure and leave enough around the edges and where the recoil pad bolts in.......DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote