New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchrest 219
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
from the April 2005 Precision Shooting, pages 58 - 60...

"Like many of the pioneer benchrest shooters, Francis [Hakes] built his own rifle. It was a 98 Mauser in 219 Donaldson [Wasp] with a Gregiore barrel and Lyman Targetspot scope and walnut stock which Francis hand carved.

"...he won the 200 yard competition against some very famous shooters like Clair Taylor, Don Robbins, Sam Clark, RK Nelson, Manley Butts, and other big names of that era. His average group was .565. Remember, this was 1949."

So who builds 219 Donaldson Wasp rifles on Mausers today ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer

Any good gunsmith who has a chamber reamer can build a 219 wasp on any action. In the heyday of the Wasp as a benchrest cartridge many shooters turned the rims of their cases so a bolt face alteration was not necessary.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:

Any good gunsmith who has a chamber reamer can build a 219 wasp on any action. In the heyday of the Wasp as a benchrest cartridge many shooters turned the rims of their cases so a bolt face alteration was not necessary.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for the reply.

Must then reach the conclusion that all the gunsmiths in America have more work than they can handle in the next ten years and it has all been paid for in advance.

Mention building a 219 Donaldson Wasp to anyone of a dozen gunsmiths who have done good work on conventional rimless rounds and they will give every reason including avoiding indictment by Texas district attorneys for not doing it. Would have an easier time getting a 585 Nyati built on a short action Savage.

Action makers like Montana won't even discuss it or return your calls once you mention the 219 Donaldson Wasp. But they'll build a 9.3 WSSM at the drop of a hat.

No, there must be something evil lurking in the background and graves of old benchrest rifles concerning the Wasp.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer

It must be because they expect you to feed from the magazine and alter the bolt face. I'm not sure I would want to take on a job like that either. Most, if not all of the old Mausers were single shot with the brass rather than the bolt face altered. Or, they were single shot, falling block rifles. A Ruger No.1 would make a great Wasp. But, if you want it in a Mauser you may have to make some compromises or find a gunsmith who is willing to take the job. Good Luck.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wasp case is made from 30-30 brass today because of availably. I have an old Winchester high wall in 219 Donaldson Wasp with a Hart SS barrel on it. I also have the 5 or 6 die set to load and make the cases. I put it together about 10 years ago just to shoot varmints.

I don't see a problem with feeding in a bolt action as you are careful in the way you load the cases in the magazine. As to building a rifle in that caliber, Remington would be the most difficult because of the type of extractor they use. Most of the rest would not be a big problem, although I've never built one on a bolt action, I'm sure it can be done.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
About 4 years ago I sold my M'98 Mauser benchrest gun in .219 Don' Wasp (for $300). It had a Mashburn trigger, a B&L (U.S. made) 6x24 variable scope (which was not included in the sale), and all-up weighed about 17 pounds. Don't know who made the un-tapered barrel, but the rifle was built by Morgan up in New England about 1951. It was a very accurate rifle even by today's standards. It functioned only single-shot, and chambered reformed .30-30 brass without the rim removed, made a la RCBS form dies.

It would have been relatively easy to make it feed, though. Main work would have required building a slanted profile magazine box, similar to that used originally on the Siamese Mausers, so that the rim of any one cartridge case couldn't get behind the rim of the case immediately under it in the magazine.

Rim diameter of the .30-30 cartridge is nominally .502"; most of the .belted mags have a rim diameter of .513" to .514". So, I'd think anyone who could open the Mauser bolt from taking .473" diameter Mauser rimless cases to taking Mag brass should also be able to open the bolt face to take the .219 Donaldson Wasp round.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck & DFC

I think you both pretty well summed up why Hammer is having a hard time finding a gunsmith to make him a 219 Wasp in a Mauser. It requires some work! It seems that today's gunsmiths can mount a scope or install a recoil pad but when it comes to real old-time gunsmithing like opening up a bolt face or altering box magizines and feed rails they either don't know how or don't want to be bothered. It's so much easier to just buy an action that already works. As you probably guessed, I'm an old guy. I had to vent. Now I feel better. Roll Eyes

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Ray -

I think you said it exactly. At least, I certainly agree with your assessment. Seems there are lots of "assemblers" around these days, but damned few old fashioned neighborhood handymen/craftsmen left. Guess that's all part and parcel of a society where everything is now designed to be "modular" and "throw-away".

Yes, they can all fit a new module to your washing machine, toaster, car, TV, dishwasher, or semi-auto pistol...but can they assess how it works, why it doesn't work now, and actually MAKE something to put it back into use? Danged few can. (I'm also old, also originally born in AZ...must be a native attitude that's suckled in the cactus juice....)

Bon Temps

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote