One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted
delete

Posts: 378 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it says Mod 98 on the side it is a Kar98k, German Army issue from 1935 to 45. Look on top; should be the manufacturer's code.
The 1830 is the serial number and the eagle is the Firing Proof mark.
First question for any disposition decision, is, how original and complete is it? If it is original military; by all means leave it that way; if you alter it, you will instantly convert a $1200 rifle into a $200 one,
If it has already been drilled, altered, etc, then you can make a sporter out of it. All Kar98ks are good quality; later ones are rougher machined.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What is the code on top?
My thoughts are; rebarrel it to whatever caliber you like, or leave it 8x57 if the bore is good. Nothing wrong with the 8x57.
Although I do have an 8mm-06 reamer.
The most popular calibers I get requests for, are, 275 Rigby, 9.3x62, 6.5 Creedmoor, 35 and 400 Whelen. But those are the hot ones these days.
And many others.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
8x57 is a great round, but, just like the old days, the 8mm/06 makes brass as simple as necking up 30-06 cases. Mine, loaded with 200 grain partitions @ 2740 fps, hammered black bears like nobodies business. You just have to be a reloader.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything special about the barrel? I have a sporterized 98 that looks like it was probably done post war but who knows. It has some modest engraving but the barrel has a full length rib. I left it 8mm but if yours has something similar, and you want a different chambering, have it rebored.

I now need a scope so haven't shot it in a while.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good 8mm Mauser with proper handloads can duplicate a 30-06 and them some, at least on paper...Its a great hunting caliber..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you tell me the code on top I can tell the maker and year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Macs-you pays your money and you takes your choice---I have owned both the 3000 and the 2000 in the past and have no desire for one again. No similarity to the 98 Mauser.
quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
Anyone ever messed with the "Mauser 3000" rifles or actions? Same guy I go this one from has a nice little Mauser 3000 in 243 caliber.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I meant on your Mod 98, not the 3000.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Weird. I saw a Mauser 3000 at the gun show in Vegas this weekend. Guy thought it was made of gold.

quote:
Originally posted by Macs B:
Anyone ever messed with the "Mauser 3000" rifles or actions? Same guy I go this one from has a nice little Mauser 3000 in 243 caliber.

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it has the original military barrel then it will have a stepped contour. I've always thought these were neat as hell. Provided the bore is good, then I would advise keeping it as-is and giving it a bright, deep bluing job along with a high-quality stock. That would make an outstanding sporter. But be prepared to part with major dollars if you go that route since in addition to the bluing you'll need the bolt bent or replaced, the action drilled and tapped, and the new stock wood, of course. That can all add up to more than the price of a premium rifle like a Deluxe Sako or a Cooper.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
With reloading, the 8mm Mauser is very close ballistically to the 06 although the bullet selection is much more limited. It was so close that I decided I didn't need one and rebarreled mine to 257Rob since I didn't have one of those.
dpcd did some work on it which was excellent by the way.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:

Now that is a good looking Mauser!
I'm sort of looking at a similar no-name 8mm Mauser right now with a full rib barrel.
The rib style is very similar to the rare full rib W.J. Jeffery Farquharsons which are made by Krupp.
I would love to see more photos of your rifle.
Does yours have any marks telling who made or what steel your barrel is?

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice rifle in a great caliber, I would just take it hunting and shoot anything up to and including Brown Bear in a pinch..about what Id do the my 30-06, and I have a very similar 8x57 as yours and love it..try some CFE223 powder, it makes it cook..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote