Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Serengeti Zephyr
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
tigertate, I didn't know that. It isn't what I imagined such a group would come up with.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
The secret to Dennis and email is Glenda. She prints them and answers for him.

Rod

You are absolutely right on this. She does a lot of things for Dennis that doesn't meet the eye sometimes. I have heard from her more often than Dennis about when I can expect something to come on the brown truck.

I've "studied" Grandview's posts, both interesting and informative. If we're ever in the same physical location, I would like to mount a few scoped Leopards, Cheetahs, Merlins with him for a better demonstration of his point.

If grandview ever gets out here for a visit like he says he will someday, I promise to haul him to your door so you can do just that. I would be interested as well. I knew Mel before he even started to make the type of stocks that you are carrying on. I look forward to meeting you someday also.

Dempsey

Don't talk about wind like that. If you ask anyone where the wind blows the worst in Washington State you will be talking about my backyard.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your last post SDH. The thing that bothered me initially and with Allen Day's comments is this: Serengetti is offering this stock to people who either cannot afford SDH or Beisen work, or who don't want to allocate all of their gun funds to a single stock. If there is criticism toward the design, it should be in comparison to other finished stocks in this price range. As Rod said, this is for a segment of the market who want a quality drop-in stock for a modest price. It was not/is not meant for the Allen Day's of this world.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by sambubba....

The thing that bothered me initially and with Allen Day's comments is this: Serengetti is offering this stock to people who either cannot afford SDH or Beisen work, or who don't want to allocate all of their gun funds to a single stock. If there is criticism toward the design, it should be in comparison to other finished stocks in this price range. As Rod said, this is for a segment of the market who want a quality drop-in stock for a modest price. It was not/is not meant for the Allen Day's of this world.

The stock configuration would have little, if anything to do with the price. Particularly in this case where the stocks are machine-duped 16 at a time.

Regardless, if the pictured stock is indicative of the product delivered for $375........laminate, finished, checkered, and ready to "drop-in" barreled action........it's a bargain.

I doubt either Allen or Steven would disagree.

"Another question might be: Why don't manufacturers employ custom stockmakers to design stocks for them? Some have (as mentioned previously) and the results are often the winners in popularity (Ruger, Kimber, Dakota, Winchester). If Serengeti had.........I wouldn't have been provoked to come across as arrogant and elitist." - SDH

The issue was the stock style........not the product price, it's value, or the market it serves.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I don't know what planet you think I'm from, but I work very hard for my gun and hunting money, just like everyone else does.

You don't have to spend a fortune for a well-shaped aftermarket stock. You can get a nicely-designed, classic-style stock from Brown Precision for not a whole lot of folding money, and you can get a superbly-shaped stock from Borden Rifles (Biesen/Cloward designed) for not a whole lot of money.

If you shoot a Model 70 Classic (right or left-handed versions) or wish to stock a Montana Rifle Company barreled-action, you can call up D'Arcy Echols and purchase one of his McMillan-produced "Legend" stock blanks for way less than $400 (maybe less than $350, I don't remember), then send your metalwork and D'Arcy's stock to McMillan for proper pillar-bedding, paint, etc. No great fortune is involved, and you will own a stock that was designed by one of the finest custom riflemakers who has ever lived.

You can also obtain a Model 70 Sporter LT or Super Grade from USRAC, complete with a stock that was designed by David Miller of the famous David Miller Company, and rebed or even rebarrel same (if you need to) and you'll end with with a rifle carrying a stock designed by one of the most famous and best custom riflemaking teams in history.

NONE of these are high-dollar stock options, yet collectively they (except for maybe the Brown Precision) were ALL designed by famous, well-known custom rifle/stockmakers of high repute -- guys who build COMPLETE rifles designed specifically for big game hunting (not stylin' & profilin'), and whose rifles are literally used around the world, year-in and year-out by some extremely serious hunters.

The idea that you have to resort of a misshapen, ill-conceived stock for budgetary purposes is absolutely false......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I write my replies on Microsoft Word. That's so I can delete them over and over again without the risk of sending something I would be sorry for later. I wrote about seven replies to Steven's initial post and deleted them all. Some of my best editing takes place with the delete key.

GV hit another gem. To write as if one was speaking to someone in person is/should be the ultimate goal. Better to say nothing than cast one's currency into a cesspool with a bad choice of words. (not a slam at SDH - a personal feeling about how I want to respond).

Dennis and I got together at his shop today. Among the many issues we had to discuss, the drop from heel to comb was one. I wanted to verify the Zephyrs I had with me against the original pattern and they were right on. We specifically talked about the Merlin and its cousins Leopard and Cheetah. "It works!", says he. Long reply for Dennis. I asked him if he was acquainted with Steven Hughs. Absolutely. Does fabulous work and gets it in all the magazines. And discussed this post. Same reply as above.

Good enough for me.

And so the same offer to Steven as to GV. Come on by when you're in the area and we'll talk about why it shouldn't (work).

BTW, we hope to bring on a Trinidad graduate come spring. He'll be in on a trial basis in early January. First job, master the Dakota carver.

Lastly, what Zephyr is all about is this: The yield of AAA-grade and above blanks from our wood store is only about 40%. Seemed like a good idea to take the lower grade blanks, which nobody wants us to carve into their $1500 stocks, and make something else. Either that or heat the shop with pricey lumber. We outsource totally. Ship out the blank and get back a Zephyr. Picked Mel Smart's Merlin shape because it is among the most popular. Please do not expect semi-custom wood to metal fit. These are drop-ins. In the case of the M1999 action, please do bed the recoil lug. Else the square-edged tang may send little chips flying from the back of the grip. On the next run, we could carve out a .040 gap (shudder). Or better yet, please bed them before shooting.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, one other thing and I'll shut up. Evidently there are some of us who are intrigued with Mel's vertical laminates and the way they are assembled--witness the articles in Handloader/Rifle and the accolades therein. A lot of us wanted wood, so any discussion of synthetics doesn't apply here. We get a good utility stock--mine has very nice figure--at a modest price and don't have to worry about warpage and shifting zeroes. As for stock design, this is a case of whatever floats your boat. It is not meant for everyone; just folks like me.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote