Find
Notify
Tools

GUN CLEANING FOR BARNES X
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Hello, I am a Barnes X fannatic. I have used the bullet in my 458 win mag (solids and X) and 300 win mag extensivley. I can't say enough good things about the bullet.

If I had to pick one bad thing to say is that cleaning out the copper is tedious. Mad

This is what I do when done shooting...

1 I clean out the bore with a wet oil patch.

2 Brush the bore out with a copper brush and alternate between wet and dry patches and then brush some more.. I do this untill the bore patches come clean (usually 3 reps)

3 I clean out the copper with Barnes copper solvent C-10 as per C-10 instructions which takes forever. I put a patch wet with C10 through the bore, wait 1 min, put a wet c10 patch through 10 times, wait 1 min. Then I use a stainles steel bore brush wet with C-10 and wait 1 min. Now 2 dry patches and back to wet C-10 patches untill they come out clean, if they come out dirty repeat.

4 Finally !!! Now that the blue shit stops coming out I clean the bore again to get all the C10 out of my barell and to leave some oil on the bore. This last step sometimes still removes some dirt!!!

This is my 300 win mag model 70. It shoots great after 1 fouling shot. Usually .75 to 1 inch at 100 with 200 grain barnes x at 100 yards. 71.5 grains of H 4831 pushing the bullet at 2650. This cleaning is after about 20 to 30 rounds at the range. The 458 is not half as bad to clean.

IS THIS NORMAL????? IS THERE A BETTER WAY???
OR am I being way to anal about the cleanlyness of my rifle. I have always cleaned every gun after shooting and cleaned untill I got clean patches coming out. The accuracy does not taper off as long as I wait for the barell to cool off between 3 shot strings.

ALL INFO APPRECIATED

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
No way you are being too anal! I clean every 10-15 shots at then range. I use Butch's bore shine. Some barrels foul worse than others, and some clean up better and easeir. We use cooper brushes. Also run a patch of lock-ease(liquid graphite) down the barrel the very last patch and leave in the barrel. This really helps long term not shooting fouler over dry bore. Also grease the bolt with bolt lube religiously and use your chamber swab.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could speed up things somewhat by using JB Paste, Remclean, or Iosso bore cleaner. Be sure to clean it out too, as you do the ammonia.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could just try the tsx as they don't foul nearly as bad as the original x bullets.They are also much more accurate in my rifles.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Honkey - throw all that other stuff away (especailly the heavy amonia cleaners) and get some Wipe-Out.

You'll get the copper out easier. And after you use it, you'll never be without it

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Throw it all away (especially those stainless steel brushes!), and replace with Wipeout.

Cleaning your guns better, while tipping a nice, well aged, whiskey. How could you possible improve on that?

Then switch to the TSX's. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
Throw it all away (especially those stainless steel brushes!), and replace with Wipeout.

Cleaning your guns better, while tipping a nice, well aged, whiskey. How could you possible improve on that?

Then switch to the TSX's. JMO, Dutch.

I shot yesterday afternoon. Brought the guns in about 7... filled them up with wipeout foam... and this afternoon I'll run two patches down the bore and all the copper will be gone.

Aggregate cleaning time = 1-minute & 15-seconds.
15-seconds to fill the barrel.
1-minute to run two patches down the bore.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered that by starting your cleaning by running an oily patch through the bore that you are requiring your follow up solvents to first cut through, and then clean out, all the oil before they can start working on any copper or powder fouling that was there?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
If you go to the supershoot or nationals, how many top benchrest shooters are using wipeout? I don't know the answer, but I know most don't. I try to take care of my guns like an very concerned top benchrest shooter takes care of his. It you want your barrels to last and are really concern with accuracy, why not?

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
My dad picked up a nice 30-338 it had about 30rds through it he didn't clean it. Anyhow he loaded up some barnes x-bullets for it and headed to the range. He calls me up and said he was flattening primers bolt hard to lift. I told him he couldn't use std reloading data for the x bullets and drop his load down well he decided no tuse the Barnes bullets so he loaded some Nosler moly coated bullets and went to the range same thing flat primers hard bolt lift. So I called M1Tanker AKA Bill and asked him about it, he said oh yeah that will definatley cause high pressures. So I called my dad and said first thing first you have the get the moly layer out first and Bill told me to tell him to use Kroils after a good soaking with that then use Some Butches Bore Cleaner. He did all that loaded up some near max loads no more problems. He called me to tell me the good news then I told him go buy some foaming bore cleaner and he would be good to go.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lightning:
If you go to the supershoot or nationals, how many top benchrest shooters are using wipeout? QUOTE]

About as many as are tipping back a nice glass of whiskey while reading a good book as they are cleaning........

Wipeout takes time. You don't have time if you are cleaning between relays at a match. However, I have plenty of it, and very little tolerance for unnecessary elbow grease applications. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch, we are of the same school of thought on gun cleaning. I love WipeOut. Have used it for 2 years. I don't think I have used a brush in that time. However, if you use Accelerator a companion product, with the WipeOut, cleaning time is cut to 15 minutes.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote