New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel weight ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a custom built 257 AI on a pre 64 Winchester style action. Tis is the new action by Winchester not an original pre 64 one. The rifle shoots fine but it was built with a 24 inch #4 Douglas barrel. This gun is heavy for its intended use which was for Antelope hunting. My question is if the gun is rebarreled with a #2 countour of the same length how much weight might be saved? I have hollowed out the butt and done everything I can think of to save some weight. I'm just wondering if this would be worth the cost.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a custom built 257 AI on a pre 64 Winchester style action. Tis is the new action by Winchester not an original pre 64 one. The rifle shoots fine but it was built with a 24 inch #4 Douglas barrel. This gun is heavy for its intended use which was for Antelope hunting. My question is if the gun is rebarreled with a #2 countour of the same length how much weight might be saved? I have hollowed out the butt and done everything I can think of to save some weight. I'm just wondering if this would be worth the cost.

Recontour to Winchester Featherweight profile. Save about 12 ounces and the single straight taper seems to be very stiff and accurate.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this page:

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidCat/catalog/pagetemplate.cfm?template=/RapidCat/common/viewPage.cfm&PageId=2550&CompanyId=1246

As you can see the difference between a #4 and a #2 is about .7 pounds or about 11 ounces. These are Krieger barrels so the contours might not match with the Douglas ones exactly but this should be pretty close.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Brownells chart on Douglas barrels the #4 weighs 3.50 lbs with a 26 inch length and the #2 weighs 2.75 lbs, but at 24 inches.

What the extra two inches on the #4 weighs I have no idea.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote