THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley bases does it matter which way the mount?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can you mount them either way?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No. The flat part has to go up.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custom Talley bases have a recoil shoulder. If off-the-shelf mounts have a recoil shoulder (ledge) it needs to go to the front so that it can push against the ring when the rifle is fired.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EDMHUNTER:
Can you mount them either way?

All the Talley bases I have seen, except for the custom-modified ones, have two recoil shoulders, a thin one at the rear of the base, and a thick one at the front of the base.

If the base has no special cut-outs as for the Dakota bolt release on the left side of the rear base (for a right hand action), they can be flipped 180 degrees.

This will put the weak (thinner) recoil shoulder forward, and the strong (thicker) recoil shoulder rearward. Not good.
That is the opposite of how it should be.

The "weak sister" recoil shoulders on the back ends of the bases are largely aesthetic, nonfunctional.
They should stay rearward.
The rear shoulder on the rear base is routinely milled off to allow the Talley peep to slide onto the rear base dovetail.
It is really not missed at all.

You want to keep the thicker recoil shoulders of the Talley bases forward, both front base and rear base.
They resist the forward slide of the scope rings (containing the scope) in recoil.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Talley bases that have only one recoil lug. They are installed with the lug at the front. The other pair I have have lugs front and rear.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
The Talley setup on a Sako action will only go one way because of the tapered dovetail.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info! Smiler

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote