New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt handle alignment question-
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
IIRC, in one of the threads on the subject, it was stated that a bolt aligned at a true 90 degrees to the bolt body will appear to have a touch of forward sweep- yes/no, opinions?

I like a "straight" bolt handle at 90 degrees (like a replacement on a customized military action). I bought a few clunker bolts to practice replacing the handles on, and when I'll actually try it who knows, but that is the reason I ask the above question.

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
IIRC, in one of the threads on the subject, it was stated that a bolt aligned at a true 90 degrees to the bolt body will appear to have a touch of forward sweep- yes/no, opinions?

If the bolt handle is 90 degrees to the body then it is straight. If the bolt handle is swept slightly forward, then it is slightly out of square. If a true 90 degree handle appears swept forward, then that would more than likely have been caused by the way it was polished.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it was stated that a bolt aligned at a true 90 degrees to the bolt body will appear to have a touch of forward sweep

I'm referring to the bolt at 90 degrees "fooling the eye", and appearing to be out of square.

read it on this forum.

thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Look at the relections in the handle above. The center line is broken and the forward edge of the handle appears to be swept back, yet the rear edge looks fine. If a person is going to install a handle at 90 degrees, and he is a craftsman, all the reflections will be straight and will look straight.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
it was stated that a bolt aligned at a true 90 degrees to the bolt body will appear to have a touch of forward sweep

I'm referring to the bolt at 90 degrees "fooling the eye", and appearing to be out of square.

read it on this forum.

thanks.

I think you refer to what I call an "optical delusion".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:

If the bolt handle is 90 degrees to the body then it is straight. If the bolt handle is swept slightly forward, then it is slightly out of square. If a true 90 degree handle appears swept forward, then that would more than likely have been caused by the way it was polished.

Malm is right about polishing.
If you can arrange for a grid pattern to be reflected on to a polished surface you will see distortions in the grid reflection due to any irregularities of the polished surface.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ditto everything Malm ah Westpac said. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spoken to a gunsmith from the ACGG, this is what he told me. If the handle is welded on 1 degree back from 90 degrees then this will elimanate the optical illusion of the handle having the forward look.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:
I have spoken to a gunsmith from the ACGG, this is what he told me. If the handle is welded on 1 degree back from 90 degrees then this will elimanate the optical illusion of the handle having the forward look.

He was pulling your leg. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was pulling your leg.

I'll be a son-of-a-bitch. hillbilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new handle from half moon, and sent it off to my gunsmith. Do I just tell my smith to weld it on at 90 degrees and hope for the best or what? Good gosh this is confusing.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxbear:
I bought a new handle from half moon, and sent it off to my gunsmith. Do I just tell my smith to weld it on at 90 degrees and hope for the best or what? Good gosh this is confusing.

If you want the bolt handle 90 degrees to the bolt body, tell him to make it look 90 degrees when it's done. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds easy enough!! hillbilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You're welcome...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Tin Can

There is definietly something of an optical illusion going on here, if you have a look at the bolt I just posted up under the VZ-33 thread, this is at 90 degrees, I was driven to check because in certain light every now and again it looks like it might have tilted forwards, then one looks again and its ok !!

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hello Tin Can

There is definietly something of an optical illusion going on here, if you have a look at the bolt I just posted up under the VZ-33 thread, this is at 90 degrees, I was driven to check because in certain light every now and again it looks like it might have tilted forwards, then one looks again and its ok !!

Tentman, that bolt handle in your photo looks too me to be swept to the rear. Lay a square across the body and check it out. Don't get me wrong, I think that handle looks good swept to the rear like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photos are very tricky, I have checked it with a machinists square (actually my neighbour, a machinist did, cause we both had doubts) but its as close to 90 as he can measure . . .

Cheers

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC, don't take me the wrong way because it's a nicer job than I ever did or probaby can do. It looks to me as it is straight, But the polishing it causing the illusion. Look at the first inch of so and the refection line in bending due to the way the radius was polished.

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, I included the photo to show what I meant by "straight"- I didn't intend for it to be an example of a bolt that appears to have a forward sweep- but maybe it does.

thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are going to get dizzy staring ai bolts all day!!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote