New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarelling a Kimber 84
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Everyone. I just found I can reasonably purchase a Kimber 84 that doesn't shoot well. It does have a very nice piece of wood.Would this be a good candidate to rebarrel? I would like to put on a heavier contour barrel than that REALLY thin Kimber tube.THANKS!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember with a much wider barrel that you will have to open the barrel channel. Often on thin barrels the fore arm is correspondingly narrow. When you open it you may have little room at the top of the stock and that usually looks like crap. Just keep that in mind.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old 3 digit M84 Kimber of ORegon that I put a Krieger tube on and stocked in a piece of Claro (I usually only lik eEnglish but felt kinda crazy at the time or something). It shoots very well with the light Krieger on it. It has a 6.5-20 EFR Leupold scope in Burris signature rings.

M84 album[IMG]

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2129117861&idx=1[/IMG]

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question wiktor 2.

The Kimber 84M Classic stocks are flat on top of the forend.

If someone would post pictures of this perhaps Customstock could look at them and see what could be done.

Keep in mind that these barrels are free floated now with quite a bit of clearance between the barrel and stock on each side.

Perhaps if the flat was blended in to a normal radius it would look wider?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of a Kimber 84M stock showing the flats on top of the forend.

The width of the flats on the top of the stock where it surrounds the barrel are 1/8" except a quick taper to 3/16" around the chamber.

Perhaps Chic could advise us if a larger diameter barrel would fit?

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple weeks ago I sent the factory an email asking if they ever considered offering the 84 in 358 Winchester. They must be too busy to respond. Perhaps you could try it as an example of what such a gun could do. Keep the barrel reasonably skinny though. It would be a shame to convert an 84 into a muzzle heavy club. Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .358 Win is a favorite of one of the staff at Kimber but they are still not making one. I too called them about chambering it but they keep choosing others. Keep in mind that the .358 never sold well in any rifle.

Kimber has a long action off the boards now and left handed rifles had been designed. They are a growing company but like any other need to
introduce stuff that will sell with the most net profit.

Kimber Montana Article

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the reply's everyone! Unfortunately the deal fell through.The guy selling the rifle told me he would give me a good deal on the rifle, $750 was not a good deal!! The good news is that I did pick up a new 84M in 7mm-08 for $839 and it is a really nice rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You got a good deal because you got to pick it out and inspect it first.

Tell us how it shoots when you get a scope on it.

Join the NRA