New
Find
Notify
Tools

338/300 to a 375 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ruger All Weather in 338win and a Winchester Classic Stainless in 300win. I would like to know which would be easier to convert to a 375 H&H and how much would it cost roughly?
Thanks
Jedd

Posts: 418 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Really about the same either way. ITD will install and test fire a Douglas Stainless barrel for $270-300.

Both action will need some work. With the M70 the action is long enough simplest thing is to buy a 375 mag box and ejector.

On the Ruger. They don't normally use that action on the 375. However you can fit the 375 box and shorten the ejector. It might take a little work on the stock but it is all internal.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions on who I could get to do this? Who is ITD?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
http://www.itdcustomgun.com/

On the M70 you can buy the mag and ejector and install them yourself or you could have them install.

ITD doesn't do stock work. So if you go the Ruger you would need the parts and need someone or yourself to enlarge the opening. Not rocket science by any means.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jedd,

Welcome to the AR forums!

Your question is sort of vague from the standpoint of cost.. You need to decide what your expectations are and exactly how you want the finished firearm to turn out. For instance do you want open sights? Is this going to be a gun your going to hunt buffalo or brown bears with? Or just something to play with at the range?

The architecture of both actions you have based on .30-06 dimensions. And both actions will require similar modifications to adapt them to the .375. The M70's that were made in the long magnums (7STW, .300Wby, .375, and .416Rem) had the loading/ejection port opened up from that used on the standard cartridges and the short belted magnums. The magazine box is longer as well. Brownells has the Ruger RSM mag boxes available and there are a few sources for M70 boxes.

While you could squeak by with not opening up the action on either the winchester or Ruger you will be asking for nagging problems by not doing so. If it where my project I would have the action properly opened up. I'm pretty sure the bolt stop will have to be adjusted on both actions as well.

Being that Winchesters and Rugers cost more(in time, which = money!!) to work on than a Remmy it will cost more than a few dollars. To open the action up and remachine the magazine box mortise for the .375 box then rebarrel I would budget $1000-$1500. Thats how I would do it. But until you have talked to a smith that knows what is involved in a conversion of this type I wouldn't assume any sort of price. Mark Penrod is a reputable gunsmith that comes to mind for this type of project with a winchester.

Also a few years back Dave Scovill wrote in his column of converting a Ruger 77 like yours to .375 H&H. I believe that he mentioned Fred Zelgin did the work; similar to what I described above. I'll see if I can find the article and post the issue it is in.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the article I was thinking of. It is in Rifle No. 211, January 2004. It was Bill Atkinson who did the conversion to Scovill's rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's just easier to buy one...

.375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.