THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is it safe/possible for m96/38 action to handle 9.3x62

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it safe/possible for m96/38 action to handle 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanting to know out of interest if this can be done??

[ 06-06-2002, 17:11: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

Is that a small ring mauser that was originally built in 7x57? If so, just screw on a 9.3 barrel and you are good to go with no other modifications.

However, I would question the financial advisability of investing in anything other than a full size 98 action. Guns made on something other than a 98 have lower resale value. Also, you might want to consider using a commercial 98 to avoid gunsmithing charges. I have found that commercial actions run about $250, while a military action runs $75. But changing the bolt handle costs $100, a new trigger is $50 and a new safety is $50. Then I would still like to get rid of the military floor plate. So a military gun actually costs me more than a commercial 98 in the long run.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Just wanting to know out of interest if this can be done??

Have a look at this page: http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/m46.html

Husqvarna built some 9,3x62 on the M96/38 action in the thirties. However, most of their 9,3 were 9,3x57, the 9.3mm Mauser. A lot of them are still in use and are considered as good as the longer one for moose and boar. Norma still loads the cartridge.

Best regards,

fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From all accounts it would probaly work out cheaper just to buy a cz in 9.3x62.

I have all these ideas but my my next 3 additions to my cabnit are already booked in.

500 it is chambered in 6.5x55.

<Harry>
posted
I brought in several nice custom 9.3 x 62 to look at but...each had some little something...rust here, bump there, nick right there...I just ordered a new CZ for a grand total of $13 more than the last one I had shipped in.
I have a new rifle and rings for well under $500 and I was going to be into any of the nice used guns for approx. $450.
Unless you are just looking for a project rifle...buy the new CZ 550 American and get on with shooting!
[Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 96/38 action has been converted to 9.3x62, occasionally.

But you can handload the 9.3x62 to full power in the CZ ( and more if you decide to do so ), with the old action you should rather load down.

Leave the action in 6.5x55 and buy a CZ.

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. I think the cz will arrive at some stage.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
PC,
From all accounts it would probaly work out cheaper just to buy a cz in 9.3x62.
I have all these ideas but my my next 3 additions to my cabnit are already booked in.
500 it is chambered in 6.5x55.
[/QUOTE]

But I'd prefer a Orignal old Mauser modify than a news CZ. But I own a CZ and love it.

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC, it can't be done safely. That is why the small rings are only used in the lower powered calibers like 7X57. You won't see a 30/06 in them either, or not unless it is loaded down.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sort of figured as much. But I was just interested to know. I wonder what the CZ Battue rifles in 9.3x62 are like. I would have to say that value for money CZ's have neally become my favourite rifles. If they would just do some stainless synthetic offerings they would near clean up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the factory built 9.3 x 57 and 9.3 x 62 rifles on the small ring Swede, and I haven't heard of any problems with them. I'd have to say that as long as factory or equivelant ammo was used that it would be no problem. FWIW. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dan, which factory built 9.3x62's. The ones I have heard of were built on large rings. The factory SAMMI specs for the 7X57 is held down to 45,000 cup because of the small ring mausers it was chambered in. No manufacturer will load it above that because of the nature of the rifle that may use the ammo and righfully so. I have never heard the same thing about the 9.3X62.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, I've got a Husquavarna 46 (96 small ring) in 9.3 x 62 sitting in my gun cabinet. It still has the thumb cut out, so was likely built between the wars. Looks pretty much like the photo's posted on the previous post. I have no idea what they pressure test these things to, I do know I've shot it with RWS and Norma factory ammo (recoil is stout, it's a light rifle with stock that hurts). I also have one in 9.3 x 60, which is kind of weird, I make the cartridges from 30-06 brass. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you bought a new cz can you get a little more velocity than the reloading manuals state due to a stronger action??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, thanks for the reply and the information.

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
If you bought a new cz can you get a little more velocity than the reloading manuals state due to a stronger action??

Never read and experienced a thing like that!!!

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty Ber007 I saw on another thread someone talking about getting better velocities from the cz's due to stronger actions etc. I do not know if this correct but wondering if anyone had heard the same thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PC,

If you look long enough around here, you will find people saying anything. If you have the same ammo, it won't shoot any faster if the action is "stronger".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Point Taken,

I persoanlly would not load over the maximum but I had heard/read that the cz actions were very strong, stronger than the original mausers the 9.3x62 was built on.