THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Fitting a 2nd recoil lug to a thinner profile barrel

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitting a 2nd recoil lug to a thinner profile barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted
Just a general question to those who might have some knowledge on this

I need to add a 2nd recoil lug to a big bore rifle, the barrel profile is thinner than I would have liked but I'm going for a longer barrel and didn't want to make it too heavy

Question is:

It seems like I'm only going to have about 250 thou from the outside to the inside bore of the barrel, would you consider this too thin to DOVETAIL and BRONZE a second recoil lug into the barrel ?

Or would I be better off asking the gunsmith to cut say 4 or 5 shallower grooves and then bronze a longer stepped lug in place with more bearing surface

I'm open to suggestions to what might work here

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done lots of them. 2 pins about about .100" dia. and about .100" deep with the whole thing soldered to the barrel. .150" web thickness between the bore and the end of the pins is plenty.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I don't dovetail them. I fit the radius of the barrel to the lug and solder them together

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Question I would have is, does the gun need a second recoil lug?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
When building my 458 I drilled out a piece of 1/4"flat stock, slid it over the bbl, pinned it and shaped it by hand. Basically it is like a Remington M=700 recoil lug fitted to the bbl.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote