Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Questions ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
K98 Erma 1937 s/27 ? It's not a complete rifle, and the original barrel is suspected not-so-good, so I'm looking at it for just the action. I haven't started negotiation yet, just looking, and thinking about it.

Is it a good mfg and year? Any info would be appreciated.

Also, recently I saw a reference to "brazilian 1908 fab arms mauser".

I have always been curious about the differences in the Mausers made in the 1930s, or so called pre-war Mausers, (WWII I presume) and the earlier '98 Mausers, such as the 1908 Brazillian and probably the 1909 Argentine, and I once had a 1918 Orberndorf, which fits into this catagory.

The 1909 Argentine for example is widely known to be soft. Is that one of the differences - heat treatment? Also, I have often wondered if the softness of the 1909 is the receiver or the bolt lugs. Which is notorious for the set back - the lug slots in the receiver or the bolt lugs, or both?

I'm also wondering if the 1908 Brazilian would be basically the same as the 1909 Argentine, especially regarding the heat treatment of the bolt and the receiver?

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I bumped this back to the top, so hopefully some of you generous guys with knowledge about this can share info. I need to make a decision about this potential purchase soon, before the opportunity (??) is gone.

Incidentially, I went ahead and bought the S42G Mauser that I posted a discussion on previously. Maybe I can post some pictures of it when it arrives. It's just the barreled action.

Thanks,
KB

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
An S42G would be an Oberndorf made Mauser in 1935.

Assuming the condition is there, that would be the ideal maker from an ideal time.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1908 Brazilian Mausers and 1909 Argentine Mausers are the exact same action, made in the same plant, at the same time. There are of course differences in the bottom metal, the wood, and the sights, but otherwise they are the same (I have owned both).

Do not be afraid to use these actions to make a very nice sporter if you so desire. David Miller used many many 1909 Argentine Actions to make very high grade big bore rifles. Jim Carmichal has used one of David Miller's .338 Win Mags for well over 25 years with absolutely no problems. That rifle was built on a 1909 Argentine action. Yes, it was rehardened by someone (whoever the Miller Company probably uses today to harden their Winchester Actions that they use for they current rifles.) I don't have the vast experience with mausers as some others do, but I have seen setback. I have never seen it on a bolt lug but I am sure its possible. Where I have seen it is on the locking lug recesses inside the action. And most of the time its extremely difficult to even see. But you can just feel the little indentation thats there.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
An S42G would be an Oberndorf made Mauser in 1935.

Assuming the condition is there, that would be the ideal maker from an ideal time.

OK, can the same be said of the 1937 Erma?

Thanks,
KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I don't have the vast experience with mausers as some others do, but I have seen setback. I have never seen it on a bolt lug but I am sure its possible. Where I have seen it is on the locking lug recesses inside the action. And most of the time its extremely difficult to even see. But you can just feel the little indentation thats there.

That has been my experience too. It's a little reassuring that it's not unique. Also, I have never seen the set back on the bolt lugs either, but I wasn't looking too hard either. I could just tell there was set back because of the space between the bolt handle and the reciever, which had crept open over time. I could also feel the difficulty of opening the bolt.

Also, I was wondering about the tolerences from different time periods, and probably different plants. Like matching a bolt from a 1908 Brazilian to a 1935 Oberndorf or 1937 Erma?

Incidentally, I don't do magnums on old Mausers. That's why I have Rugers for that. Smiler

Thanks for the info.
KB

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'll throw in my $.02. I believe that all pre-WWII Mauser receivers were made from ersatz beer cans, as far as metallurgy goes. As a rule (my own), I have ALL my pre-war military actions carburized after I make all the alterations I want on them. It may not be necessary when chambering to standard cartridges like the '06 or the 8 M/M but it gives me the warm fuzzies and I can chamber them to short magnums (.338 WINMAG, .300 WINMAG, etc.) if I want to without worry they will set back. I do love the pre-war military Mausers but, I don't trust them for high pressure cartridges like the .270 without the re-heat treat.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
In the last few years, I have come to appreciate such cartridges as the 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, and 9.3x62, and that's what I use old Mauser actions for. I handload them mildly, and those old cartridges will serve all my hunting needs.

I have a magnum or two plus the 280, and 30-06 on more modern actions, such as the Ruger, and the FN or Mark X Mauser.

KB