Find
Notify
Tools

Sako L461 - Manufactured When??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dear Sako Lovers,

Is anybody willing to make an educated guess at manufacturing date for a Sako L461 with serial number 110XXX???

Thanks ever so much in advance - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the numbers on some of my own L461's, it should definately be pre-1972, but how much older than that I can't say. Is it marked "Bofors Steel" on the barrel? That would be typical in this age gun, but not EVERY one was so-marked. The best clue as to whether it is earlier or later is the magazine release. If it is a lever recessed into the front of the trigger guard, it is one of the older L461's, and if the release is the plunger-style, then it is one of the newer ones.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah Stonecreek, I had missed you over on the "Small Bore" forum, I had hoped you would chime in over there as well. Seems like I "found" you here, that is good . I don't actually have the rifle in my possesion, it is for sale on the Net, and I was trying to figure out the details. It definitely seems to be an L461 (seller confirms this via phone). As far as I can see from the photographs, the release for the floorplate is the "plunger" type in front of the trigger guard (looks like the floorplate release on my AIII).

It is a .222 Rem, heavy barrel version with a stock apparently made by Herter's (thus my recent interest in that company). Looks neat. Seller specifies 98% with just the slightest wear of blue at the muzzle. I don't care about that, I was just hoping to buy a shooter...

I'm not going to divulge the price for fear of everybody laughing at me,,, just suffice to say that it did not seem totally unreasonable compared to other prices found for Sakos on the Web - I don't have the option to trawl gunshows
- mike

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I bought my Sako L461 as an action only ($90) as I recall serial # 156xxx and I bought it in 1972 as I recall.

BTW it's not for sale....it's a heading for a .204-.223 barrel soon.

I hope that helps you some.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's difficult to say. I purchased an L461 action only about 1977. It's serial number is 108951. It had the
magazine blocked to single shot, but I don't think that was done at the factory. I had a Hart SS 22"
barrel put on it in .222Rem. Mag. Boy is it ever an accurate bugger. I have no way of knowing when
it was made. I also have a Sako Varminter in .222Rem. that is also quite accurate. I bought that in
the early 80's, and it has a serial number of AI169132. Somewhere in between Sako must have started
using serial numbers with 2 letters preceding the numbers. Both of the actions are quite smooth, and
super reliable. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah Stonecreek, true to form!

Thanks a ton for the calming message on the possible origins of the barrel! I spent Friday with a severe case of "rifle-nut's blues" - who wants a Marlin barrel on a Sako?!? You made me feel a lot better!

It is very likely my friend in the States missed the caliber designation right in front of the receiver ring. The rifle does not have a scope mounted, but it has Weaver rings and bases, and the front base overhangs the barrel a tad.

Btw, do you know if the Weaver bases have been screwed to the Sako integral bases or do they mount without drilling and tapping?? Obviously, the latter would be preferable, but I guess these uncertainties is what you are in for when buying over the Net...

I'm currently debating whether I shall just leave the Weaver bases for use with a set of Burris Signature Zee rings, or whether to go with a set of Sako Optilocks?? The Weaver/Burris solution is cheap and cheerful, but normally quite functional. The Optilock option is more expensive, but perhaps more in line with a Sako?? I know I could use Leupold and other mounts as well, but the two options above are my current picks.

The amount of gun knowledge on this site is just amazing. Why is there not a "million-$ show" where the questions are about guns and hunting "trivia"?? You guys would stand to win a bunch of $$$

- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the rifle in question is in my possession at the moment, I might be able to add something. I removed the forward Weaver base, which utilizes the Sako dovetail and is secured from moving rearward by a slot-driven set screw. Underneath, close to the receiver, and marked across the axis of the bore, was:

SAKO
CAL..222

On the left side is what looks like a lionhead emblem, same as on the receiver. Beneath is what looks like a mountain emblem, which is also on the receiver. These are very sharply etched, like laser or electro-etch. Definitely not stamped.

Forward of the proof marks, if that's what they are, is etched:

VIXEN made in finland

There are no other markings on the barrel. The receiver is polished to a very high luster. The barrel less so. The receiver's bluing shows a purple cast. The barrel is blue/black.

The plastic buttplate is Herters.

The stock shape is similar to the Harrington and Richardson M317, but without the white line spacer in the forend. No checkering.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, straight from the horse's mouth! I guess that settles the issue of caliber, at least.

The barrel does not seem to be marked "Bofors Steel", but as far as I have read on this forum, this mark was not always available. It seems obvious that it is a Sako factory barrel, but some of those (e.g. the ones marked Bofors) were supposed to have been cut rifling barrels, whereas later barrels are hammer forged. Does anybody have an opinion on the origin of the barrel based on Rod's information, manufacturing date (1969) and the fact that it has 12 lands and grooves??

Thanks for the info about the Weaver base, Rod. At least that takes care of my worry the action might have been drilled and tapped.

- mike