THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What Is Best Pre-64 Winny To Use For 375 Ruger Build

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Best Pre-64 Winny To Use For 375 Ruger Build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want a 375 Ruger and have always had pre-64 Winchesters, so that is my preferred baseline.
When I go to buy a complete pre-64, which would get modified into the 375 Rugr , what caliber pre-64 would be the best choice.
(Is it foolish to plan to use a pre-64?)
(Would it make more sense to get a new CRF Winney and have it converted?)
Once I have the base rifle, I will begin looking for a smith to do the work.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Whether you decide upon a pre-64 or a post 64 classic, it would be easiest to start with one of the standard mags (ie a 264 Win Mag, 7MM Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag or a 338 Win Mag). The bolt face and mag opening should already be properly dimensioned for the 375 Ruger.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a caliber as close to the new caliber as possible to eliminate a lot of feeding issues. Work will still have to be done but less work will be done on a cartridge that is close

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Built mine on a post 64 and it started life as a 6,5x55. I just opened up the bolt. Not a big job if you blueprint the action.

Posts: 10 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The boltface is really the only significant issue and even that's not a big deal. The actions are all the same except for some cuts for magnum calibers, which you won't need for the .375 Ruger, but if they were there it wouldn't hurt.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote