THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have experience with these stocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone used stocks form High Tech Specialities or the Bell and Carlson Carbelite classic? Thinking about buying one but I have no personel experience with them, just wondering if they are any good.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If by High Tech you mean Mark Bansner, they are very nice stocks but I wouldn't want to try and finish one using an inletted blank. The nice thing is Mark will build it almost any way you want with respect to fill-weight and balance.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it is Mark, they are listed in Brownells as High Tech Specialities

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I used one of the HTS stocks several years ago and was very pleased with it. Quite a step up from a B&C in every respect.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The High Tech stocks are very nice.

They are also pretty labor intensive to finish.

They remind me of a couple Brown stocks I built up in the early 1980's.

Nosler used that stock on their annual rifle last year.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice stocks, but as stated above pretty labor intensive. Get ahold of CASll, he'll paint and put a pad on for about $150, does great work.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I was just about to order the B&C, I think I'll get a HTS instead.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
What makes them so labor intensive? Is it the fitting of a pad and paint job,or is there something else that I'm missing?

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
What makes them so labor intensive? Is it the fitting of a pad and paint job,or is there something else that I'm missing?

The inletting is close but it will need to be final fitted and bedded. The outside will show the seam lines and will need some sanding and filling of some small air pockets. Little epoxy and sandpaper. The pad will need to be attached and ground down. Then the paint. They make a nice finished stock. They are not a stock you pickup stick the barrel and action in and head to the range.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course Robertson Composites stocks come finished and have been called "functional works of art".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Robertson:
Of course Robertson Composites stocks come finished and have been called "functional works of art".

Dang it, Ian. You keep showing up but never leave us with web site information, etc. How
can we give a real look, buddy, if we don't know where? bewildered

Regards,

Don

P.S. Can you fit a Kimber model 89 BGR with the featherweight contour?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Mr. Robertson,

Your stocks are very nice judging from the ones I have seen. Matter of fact, I'm stongly considering one for an F-Class rifle, but the weight on your sporter is listed on your site as 3lb 2oz. Can it be made lighter? The stocks in question in this thread are ultralight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send Mark Bansner of Hi-Tech Specialties your barreled action and let his smiths fit and finish it for you. The minimal extra cost will be worth it. I had him fit one of his stocks on my M77 35 Whelen and its fantastic. The attention to detail is second to none.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
I personally don't need to farm my work out, just wanted to know how much work was required on his stocks.