Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman #36 Sight for 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Yes I know these are impossible to find!

The question I had was whether any original drawings existed that could be used to produce new sights?

Or if anyone had one that I could photograph and measure for my own drawings.

I know it's a stretch!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have such a sight made for the 1888 Commission/Haenel Mannlicher rifles. It appears to be identical to the M-S sight except for the front extension to activate the 1888's ejector. I don't have a 1903 for comparison but would bet that most of the dimensions will work for you. If you wish, I can send it for your examination and measurement. PM me if interested.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
The Commission 88 sight is a little different in the ejector is on the bolt release , I think that is how it differs , may be more ?

Jim Wisner of Precise Metalsmithing Enterprises (PME) was making copies 15yrs or so ago .

I got some repo parts for my old Rem 14 1/2 off Wisner , could be the same company or know his details ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the later model Lyman that fits the post war M-S with the box type bolt stop if that would help.

I also would like to find one for the Pre-war 1903.

PM if intrested

Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of mine for the 1888/Haenel:

The front extension is visible, as is the actual ejector/bolt stop box body that entirely replaces the original bolt stop.

I 'assume' that many if not most of the pertinent bolt stop mounting dimensions are the same or at least close in the several Mannlicher rifle designs. IOW it might be possible to adapt a Lyman sight made for another Mannlicher such as the Dutch or 1888/Haenel.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I called Lyman today, they don't have the old drawings. They gave the name of three different people to call that specialized in obsolete Lyman parts. I got a hold of 2 of them. No luck there either. I am trying the last one tomorrow.

If I'm going to make a copy of one, I will need a pre-war version for the 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer. Mine was manufactured in 1908.

If someone has on they can loan me, I would gladly put a deposit down until I return it. I just need to take full measurements and some pics.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter

PM coming regarding the sight.

James Wisner

Posts: 1472 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JD

Nice sight.

BTW you are missing the little elevation stop behind the locking lever. See that little screw, a small plate with a slot in the middle is held in place by that screw to act as a vertical stop if you move the slide up and down. Then you can tighten the lever to lock the slide in place.

Some of the earlier ones had the indicator as you have in the front portion of the base, while the later ones did not have the indicator at all.

That one is the long slide version, they later dropped that as a lot of those would bump the side panels of the stock. That is why so many you see are the meduim slide version.

James Wisner

Posts: 1472 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James, many thanks for the info! I've always liked unusual sights and was aware of the missing parts on mine, but the other data on the slide length is VERY interesting!

I was going to use this sight on a crude 1888 sporter I own but, as you pointed out, the slide interferes with the woodwork on the 1888's far-too-chunky stock. Yes I could cut the stock down but I already don't have NEARLY enough tuits so.....
Regards, Joe