New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 pos safety for mauser?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
Anyone done this? I think i would like to buy the tools for this, but can't seem to get a straight answer...

do any of the kits come with the saw/bits,etc?
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, check with Jim Wisner, he has a fixture and can tell you which cutters to buy. I bought them for a gunsmith friend in the past and he built his own fixture. BTW, he had used all of the current parts and said PME are heads and tails above the rest.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chic,
thanks tons..

Jim, you out there?

I need's me some tools, pal!!!

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe, Here's a great link PME SAFETY INSTALL I did mine with a dremal tool and some files [Eek!] But I the only person I had to satisfy was me [Big Grin]  -

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Question:

Does PME still make the 3-pos safety for the 98?

I thought they stopped making several parts months ago.

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Jeffe,

I put a PME 2pos safety on a vz24. I purchased the tooling from Brownells and used the schools jig. Comparing my experinace to that of those who installed the Chapmen 2pos safety, the PME is far easier to install and better looking. The PMEs also seem to function smoother, I beleive this to be becasue of how the PME engages the cocking piece compaired to the Chapman design.

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso

The cutters I use because I have them for other purposes are.
5 inch x 1/8" slitting saw.
3 inch x 1/4" side cutting saw.
You also need
#31 HSS drill.
#21 HSS drill.
6x48 tap.
Torch.
Fixture and Mill to do cuts.

I will be modifying some M98 sleeves for myslef and a couple of other customers after the first of Dec.

I charge $50.00 for the labor to remachine YOUR military sleeve to accept the kit. The sleeve will be machined and cleaned up enough to blend in the ring on the top of the sleeve. Final polishing could be required to suit.
Also you will need the kit for 29.95, this is the lever, pivot screw, plunger and spring.
Plus return ship and Ins.

Dan M

Precise Metalsmithing or PME was operated by me for 18 years and was closed down in Dec of 2002.

I am still operating part time, under my name and basically offering the same parts with new ones coming out as the CNC machinery comes on line and time permits.

We just moved 5 pieces of machinery in yesterday and one was a Bridgeport CNC mill. Its twin gets moved in next week.

James Wisner

[ 11-22-2003, 07:44: Message edited by: J Wisner ]

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those interested about the two postion lever.

I made a copy of the Jantz lever from 1983 to about 1989. Sold lots of them to Ed Delorge.

Then redesigned the lever to what it is now.

The shape of the lever is mostly from Herman Waldron.

If I remember right the cam for the cocking piece came from Al Biesen.

I took bits from several different levers and combined them. Worked with Al Biesen to finalize the design. To proof the cam design I put a soft lever in a gun and functioned it 200 times with no noticeable wear.

They are machined from mild steel and casehardened aprox .010 deep.

James Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote