New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 Push Feed Not Feeding
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Winchester Model 70 SA that I bought chambered in .223 Ackley.
Ammo doesn't feed correctly. Left side round feeds to 3:00 and right side round feeds to 9:00.
Is this problem fixable, or do I pull the barrel and rechamber to .223 Remington.
Thanks,
Scott

Posts: 34 | Location: detroit, michigan | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
how does it feed regular 223??

i would imagine it was done with jsut a chamber, and not feeding

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
It seems to feed .223 Remington just fine. That was my reasoning for changing back, unless it could be made to work in .223 Ackley.

Posts: 34 | Location: detroit, michigan | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your problem is repairable, and for much less than it would cost you to rebarrel. That is a fine cartridge and worth repairing to feed properly. Without having the action in hand, it would be hard to locate where the feeding problem is. There are several possibilities. You would want to find out at what location in the feeding cycle that the cartridges are being pushed in the wrong direction. It could be the feed lips, the follower, the feed ramp, etc.. Generally, that area of influence would then be relieved of a bit of material, until the cartridges consistently feed properly, and then polished/deburred. I highly recommend that you take this to a qualified gunsmith to work on, because if you go in there and start removing material without KNOWING what you are doing and what the affect will be, things can get much, much worse, and may not be able to be repaired thereafter.

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elecgun,
It sounds as though the cartridge is not releasing soon enough. Usually the top portion of the magazine can be bent inward until the cartridges release at the correct time. This is the most inexpensive way to go about it. If you goof up it is only the cost of a magazine. The follower will only affect the last round out of the magazine.

good luck,
Pete

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote