THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    ACGG #22 'A Pair Of Sevens' headed to NRA Convention..

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ACGG #22 'A Pair Of Sevens' headed to NRA Convention..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If anyone is back near Milwaukee for the NRA show the weekend of 19th, 20th, 21st, stop by the ACGG booth and take a look at the work on display by some of the members. The #22 project rifles will be on display (without the coffee table) and they should have ticket applications available. I think Dennis Potter and Bob Snapp will be there for sure, and I imagine they will have help from several other members.

This scan is from the brochure...

There is more info about the Guild and Guild Projects at the ACGG website.

This is the pair in their table/ display

This is some of the engraving done by Diane Scalese (in-the-white)

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim_Dubell:
I think Dennis Potter and Bob Snapp will be there for sure, and I imagine they will have help from several other members.

Jim,
Would that be the Bob Snapp that comes from Michigan? Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, beautiful rifles. You guys did a wonderful job. I heard you are not taking any orders for those coffee tables.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great work. I have been admiring them on your website too.

By the way .. Chic and Roger promise me they will be done fondling the work you did on my Springfield sometime this year. Then it will be my turn to fondle it. Wink Wink rotflmo

Although, they might have mentioned something about a thorough break in period. Eeker

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Those are fantastic! Who ever wins them will be be very lucky indeed.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee, how come the one isn’t listed as a .275 Rigby???

jumping

I got to see these beautiful rifles (and the equally beautiful coffee table Smiler ) at the Reno show...and they are incredible. IMO they strike the perfect balance of fancy/practical. The intricate “extras†are there, but they don’t jump out at you.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys! Yup Mr. White, that would be Bob Snapp of the Martini Cadet Snapps. I'll bet a cup of coffee a person will be able to lay eyes on nicely done Cadet conversion!! Should be a good show with much to see and learn, but I'm not going to make it. Hope to hear back from some folks that get to make the trip.
Jim

A few more in-the white

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jim that is beautiful metal work. The safety shroud is just gorgeous.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Forrest,
These were made from blanks recieved from Jim Wisner. He pulled them out of line after he had the threading and front-end cuts made. They were used for his 3 position safety assemblies. The whole back end was still in round-bar form, which allowed the installation of a two-position lever and contouring specific to this project. It's been a blast, but time consuming also.
Jim

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I can see where the time went into that safety, but I can't figure out how you fashioned that perfect little widow's peak.

That's the kind of work that differentiates a gunmaker from a parts assembler.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple more views of Dave and Dianes artistry. The forend shot shows the folding swivel base. Folds flush when using a low carry with the barrel band swivel base, but allows for a standard cary or the use of a bipod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Forrest. The word "crisp" comes to mind. Not only is that work gorgeous, but it is also very very crisp.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Anyone notice the sling swivel studs???? Big Grin

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jim, could you give us a few more detail pics of the action from when it was in the white? Those are great photographs. I'd love to see some more of your metal work detail on these rifles.
Thanks for sharing with us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more work in progress pics. This first one is kind of a do-it-yourself custom gun kit Smiler

This shows the extended tangs and the rear action thru-hole made blind.

If you are under 18 you might want to skip the next one...she is 'topless'...

The square bridges almost done

UM HMM, yup, made 'em myself. Can ya tell??

The rear bridge and ring almost finalized..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The Pair of Sevens are fantastic looking rifles and the work in progress pics are great as well...!!!

Loved the "Do it yourself kit".....and the topless photo was a bit of a shock... Smiler

Can you tell us a bit about the scope rings you make?

Thanks for posting. beer

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim

Truly magnificent metal work.
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
How was the front bridges attached?
Do you have more information or pictures of the
swivel in fore end?
Thanks and again excellent work.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you James,
The front bridges are welded on as are the rear. The actions were recarburized after the modifications by Blanchard in Salt Lake City. The swivels were actually designed for a customer in your neck of the woods in Buckhannon W.V. The engraver for the project sold him on a barrel band swivel base but he does a lot of his shooting off his back deck on a covered bench and usually uses a bipod. We wanted some way to attach the bipod in the normal location without having a sling swivel stud poking out the bottom of the forend. This serves well for that and also allows for a standard high carry on a sling, depending on field conditions.
Jim

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'm in awe. There's so much work there to appreciate. The extended tang is very nicely done as are the mounts. The topless photo was a bit of a shock, but a clever way of dealing with the rear bridge. Super work for sure, Mr. Dubell.

What actions did you start with?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim

Thanks for the reply.
In my opinion the metalworker never gets enough credit for there work on custom rifles. It seems the credit goes to the stock maker and engraver. Not that there work is less incredible but without a solid foundation there work is mute.
Little and big points on these rifles that might not be visible to all.
Square bridge, Rings, Extended tang, Bolt shroud, Thumb pad on bolt release, Quarter rib,
The Widows Peak theme carried through on Bolt shroud Quarter rib, Barrel band. Not to mention the feed and function and safety aspect. All of this X2.
Metalworkers do not get enough credit!

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Good point James.

I've had several rifles built, and never ever once have I said, after they were finished, that I wish I had put more money into engraving, or said I wish I had bought a better blank. But more than once I've said to myself, I wish I had spent more money on metal work. A nice stock will catch your eye, but good metal work can hold your attention for hours on end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Good point James.

I've had several rifles built, and never ever once have I said, after they were finished, that I wish I had put more money into engraving, or said I wish I had bought a better blank. But more than once I've said to myself, I wish I had spent more money on metal work. A nice stock will catch your eye, but good metal work can hold your attention for hours on end.

Yeah...and an ugly piece of wood attached to beautiful metal work is like putting Hillary Clinton’s face on Pamela Anderson’s body!! Smiler

The two should compliment each other and neither should dominate or distract from the total package. Just my opinion.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Very nice.
TIMAN

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim you truely did a marvelous job. Simply Stunning. Your treatment of the bolt shroud just holds my attention and the way you handled the rear bridges. Wow.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I would like to recommend that anyone who appreciates this work consider becoming an associate member of the ACGG. What a great organization of craftsmen. The "Gunmaker" quarterly publication is great, too.