Find
Notify
Tools

Parker-Hale Mount Base Removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Gents , I recently acquired a M98 mauser Parker-Hale in 8mm-06 .
It is an early safari built on mil-surp action , and has the 2-piece bases with the dimple recoil lug .

The only P-H rings available to me are 2 sets of low rings , which dont allow fitting of the scope of my choice.

I would like to know - how are the bases attached to the receiver? They appear to be screwed via the base of the dimple hole , with an allenhead screw. Are they also silver soldered ?

If need be I will mill the bases off , but it would be nice to remove them intact in case they are needed sometime in the future.

Sorry to be long-winded , hope someone can assist here

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Now you've got my brow wrinkled. I used to own numerous P-H rifles in chamberings and action sizes from the .22 Hornet up through the 7x57 Mauser and .30-06 clear to .458 Winchester. Sold my last one in about the mid-70's, and I'll be darned if I can remember for absolute sure about the bases for the rings.

BUT, to the best of my memory so far, I can't recall them HAVING separate bases for the scope rings. They were part and parcel of the receiver, unless my mind is playing tricks on me. That was one of the nice things about the rifles, as I recall them. Just had those nice scope rings of rather heavy-duty construction, with the stud in the bottom of each ring, which fit into the dimples in the front and rear rings of the receivers.

What I'd suggest doing is looking in a Brownell's catalogue to see which American makers provide rings for the Parker-Hale rifles, and ordering a pair of those. They came in low, medium, and high, as I recall.

If that didn't work, I'd "Google" around until I found a P-H collectors' club and see if I could find some original ones of a height you need, through a forum at that site.

You could also post a free "wanted" ad at Auction Arms and a few other sites, and likely come up with some.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks AC

the rifle is a Safari De Luxe built on a mil-surp action and has two piece blocks.I am picking it is a very early one before they went to the Santa Barbara actions and others.

Why they ever used that in-between dovetail size beats me , sure makes it harder down the track to fit a decent scope.

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Muzza,
We'll get you in the Rugby next time. The All Blacks played very well last Saturday night and deserved to win, but I digress....

I have exactly the same model Parker Hale you do only in factory .243W. It has the two piece bases you described which are a factory fit, only mine don't have allenhead screws, just normal flat tip screws heads.

The fact that youre is in 8mm-06 and has cross tip screws securing the mounts would suggest that the rifle has been 'worked on' since purchase. It would be impossible to say how they are attached or if they are soldered as well as screwed.

Lynx scope rings will fit if you can find any of the three heights.

http://www.lynxoptics.com.au/leftframe.html

Warne Maxima rings to fit a dovetail Tikka mount also fit and you can mail order them from the USA quicker than from here in OZ

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=308

Lynx/Tasco also make a bridge mount with the correct screw holes to fit the Parker Hale. They do not have standard commercial mauser 98 hole spread. You can cut the bridge out with a hack saw for two piece mounts if required.

If the current mounts are solid, better off to just get rings of the right height and not ruin what is there. I have 1" Lynx rings and 30mm Warne rings for mine and they have given no problems at all.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks C-4

Thats good info on the Tikka and Warne mounts.

My P-H has a rechambered 8mm Mil-surp barrel fitted , complete with steps ,but it doesnt worry me . It will be a bush gun so looks arent important , just like our choice in Prime Ministers.

I was sure something else would fit , now to locate some rings that are suitable .

We kiwis hate to lose to you bloody Aussies at anything , so the thrashing your team got was payback for last week. Now we just need to work on winning the netball.....

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Beware,
I have a 2.5-10x42 30mm tube scope on my P/H and needed Medium height Warne rings to clear the bolt handle.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate - I need mediums as well or the bolt handle doesnt clear the scope ....

I will see what the mailman brings me in a week or so...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
Thanks mate - I need mediums as well or the bolt handle doesnt clear the scope ....

I will see what the mailman brings me in a week or so...

I re shaped the Bolt Handle on my P-H 7mmRM to clear the scope Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote