New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna Question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
An acquaintance is considering buying a Mauser 98 commercial style (no thumb cut out in left rail) with the Swedish Crest and a factory barrel marked Husqvarna Vappenfabriks A.G. 30 - 06 U.S.
The safety is a trimmer version of the flag style of safety. Trigger is a two stage military type affair, but nice enough to leave intact for a larger bore rebarrel.

He asked me if someone made these for Husqvarna, and if they would be considered "modern" regarding their metallurgy? I said, "I do not know, but I know where to ask."

So, I am asking.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The Mauser 98 style Husqvarnas were made after WWII by FN for Husqvarna. They would be considered to be made using "modern" metalurgical techniques and are as strong and well made as any commercial mauser. As I recall, Husqvarna used these until the early 1950s when they were replaced by Husqvarna's 1640-series rifles that they made themselves.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
There is FN -Husqvarnas with and without a thumb cut. These models without (m/1000, m/1100, m/2104F) used to be more expensive export versions.
I have one model 640 with thumbcut. It´s original caliber was 9,3x62 but last owner before me make it to 9,3x64 Brenneke. And that´s why I bought it.;-)

Here you can find more:

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
There is FN -Husqvarnas with and without a thumb cut. These models without (m/1000, m/1100, m/2104F) used to be more expensive export versions.
I have one model 640 with thumbcut. It´s original caliber was 9,3x62 but last owner before me make it to 9,3x64 Brenneke. And that´s why I bought it.;-)

Here you can find more:

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

Excellent link, thanks.

Be sure to click the "home" link at the bottom of the page.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own several and infact prefer their barrel action to a factory FN marked barrel action for three reasons (1) I like the round bolt knob better than the flatbottom checkered on the FN(2) I like the barrel shaped safety on the Husky better than the FN Commercial (3) The Husky seems to be better honed on the inside as every piece I have ever examined was much slicker with an easier bolt lift than the FN Commercial. Having said that I do realize that they came from the same factory originally but was told by a late gunsmith friend that Husky actually altered the cocking cam on the bolt to accomplish the easier lift (I have nevered measured to see it that is correct). I do believe that materials and heat treat to be better than WW2 or South American Mausers.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Husqvarnas dont seem to bring alot of money ?why is that? 1640 models etc ,Tradex Canada, seem to have alot for sale [all types]Thought being Swedish made they would have been more sought after and valuable

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
1640 is cheap even in Sveden but it is very good hunting rifle. My friend has one 9,3x62 with a new better model stock and he likes it very much.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I think the price has more to do with the quantity than quality. The 1640 is a very nice light action and a great foundation for a custom rifle. I used one for a very cool custom .270.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
tankhunter: The Husqvarnas dont seem to bring alot of money ?why is that? 1640 models etc ,Tradex Canada, seem to have alot for sale [all types]Thought being Swedish made they would have been more sought after and valuable
I think the reason is because most vintage Mausers seem to sell for less in Canada & Europe and it is difficult to import them into the USA now. When Simpson had some of the old Huskys, they sold out fairly quickly, at higher prices.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight gents.

Information was passed on, and I retain a bit of it myself.

I does have the exact form of a commercial FN action, and that ain't no left handed praise.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote