THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Hi Force 44 solder and Hot Caustic blueing-problems

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi Force 44 solder and Hot Caustic blueing-problems
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
Anyone here experience any problems with Barrel Bands or second lugs attached to a barrel with Hi-Force 44 solder and then blued with Oxyenate 7 solution? Brownells Hi force 44 literature says no problems, but I'd appreciate your experience.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've had no problems with it. It works as advertised.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
It's worked fine for me over the years.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Just as I thought!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
High Force 44 Works fine. I use it for bands, sights, ribs, etc., then run through the tanks.

I use cold bluing when removing the excess silver solder. A dab of bluing around the joint shows where the excess solder is (the solder won't blue. Then file/sand away the excess solder, re-apply cold bluing to see what you missed.

For a neat Stainless Steel barrel job: Install the front ramp or rear ramp (blued type of course). Then clean up the excess silver solder. Bead blast the barrel and ramps. Then run in the bluing tanks. (The SS will not blue). After bluing is complete, mask off the sight ramps, then bead blast the SS barrel again to remove the slight stain it receives in the salts.

Why not use stainless ramps? Gee, can't see them due to the high reflection from sunlight.

Don't use Allstate 430. The salts will destroy the bond.

[ 01-21-2003, 22:44: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote