Find
Notify
Tools

Help me choose a SA deer rifle cartridge
 Login/Join

<Ken in VA>
posted
Okay guys, here's the scoop.
Since I now have a LH SA Model 700, I've decided to have some work done on it to make it "my rifle."
It'll be used primarily as a whitetail rifle here in my home state of VA and in my neighboring state of KY.
It may see some use as a hog rifle and maybe someday for black bear.
I plan have it rebarreled and put a MacMillan stock on it.
Now for the question..........what cartridge do you guys think I should go with?
Reloading is not a problem and will be done no matter what the cartridge.
Now, let's hear your choices.
Ken

one of us
posted Hide Post
7-08 or .308. I have seen the 7-08 with 140 gr Noslers drop a 220 lb wild boar on the spot. It will work on deer, bear or boar. Ditto for the .308 if you like a bigger bullet. Of course, I am going to have a .358 Win made soon...

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
7mm-08 or 308, I own both and prefer the 7mm

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My choice is the 308 Win. Easy to load, known for exceptional accuracy and realistically reloadable with 130-190 grn bullets. Loaded with 150-165 grn bullets for deer and 165-180 grain bullets for hogs and bears.
If you like more reach for those big hay fields try the 300WSM.

[ 06-04-2003, 02:12: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am planning to put one together also and decided on the 260 Rem. to be used mainly for silhouette shooting and deer hunting.

Good luck with whatever caliber you decide.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I personally like the 708 but admit the 308 will do in a pinch.
Since you include bear & boar have you considered the 358? It`s a bit more then needed for deer but would be great on the tougher stuff.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
7mm08 is the way to go. Basically a 7X57 and we know how long thats been around!!

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've got a left-hand Rem 700 short action with five interchangeable barrels. The 7-08 and .308 are two, either of which are great for your purpose.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So many good options, so little money and time to get all the toys... You could probably even fit a .257 Roberts into a short action... Other than that there are a ton of other great options: .260 Rem, 7mm-08, .308 etc etc. Other than the .257 Rob (a sentimental favorite of mine) I'd probably second the votes on the 7mm-08, this cartridge seems to have "made" it into the group of survivors.
- mike

[ 06-04-2003, 12:28: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to go with the Prof., on this one. I recently started work on a Model 7, and want a switch-barrel. The block to hold the recoil lug is available from Brownells for less than $45 shipped.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1390
And, you can get an action wrench, and barrel vise fabricated locally at a machine shop. You should be able to get into the tooling for less than $150 or so.
Factory pull-offs & after-market barrels can be had for around $50 each. That way, you can set it up for the optimum cartridge for your game. Plus, you have the option of putting it back in stock condition, should you ever decide you want something different. It may not be for you, but it IS an option...........Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote