New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restored LC Smith 3 Inch
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I gave Roger Vardy carte blanche on wood choice..about perfect! Roger Kehr freshed up the engraving where possible and did the new trigger guard in matching style to to match factory engraving. The re- color casing was done by Turnbull's.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! I too have an early Smith Longrange gun- Ideal Grade, 32", F&F. Since I'm only the third owner of the gun I'm not inclined to refinish it, but if I were this is what I would want it to look like.

Note: a finer waterfowler was never made, IMO. But remember, the 3" loads the gun was designed for rated about like our modern 2 3/4" "high brass" loads. Feeding one of these guns a diet of wicked modern 3" loads will not do it any good.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's perfect! I long for one like it!

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
Nicely done! I too have an early Smith Longrange gun- Ideal Grade, 32", F&F. Since I'm only the third owner of the gun I'm not inclined to refinish it, but if I were this is what I would want it to look like.

Note: a finer waterfowler was never made, IMO. But remember, the 3" loads the gun was designed for rated about like our modern 2 3/4" "high brass" loads. Feeding one of these guns a diet of wicked modern 3" loads will not do it any good.

Yes, good point to bring up

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really like the checkering layout on the pow grip, most look really blah. I'm not up on my Elsies, did they come with barrel engraving after blue on the barrels?

Greg

Posts: 427 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...do you mean lettering done AFTER bluing? If so, I've never seen that...You might try the LC Smith collectors forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, I meant the engraving on the barrel just ahead of the fences in the last picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That engraving was factory...refreshed by Roger Kehr. Originally it was blued

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, did you glass bed the action?

Jim

Posts: 1210 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Duane,

Really well done. Beautiful wood and stockwork to match.

Setters5,

Duane blued the barrels after the engraving was re-cut. The photo is catching the lighting and reflecting back to look like it's in the white...it's not.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dall85:
Duane, did you glass bed the action?

No...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole team effort is just fantastic. Thanks for this post.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply stunning.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Really neat stock - a bit of a raised comb? Beauty.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Came out that way following provided dimensions

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity Duane.

Do you send all of the metal work out and have it done before stocking, the other way around, or just take it as it comes and pray to what ever boogy happens to be on duty that day? There never seems to be a good way to approach that. (At least I've never found it) Get the metal work done first and you end up scratching something during inletting. Leave the metal work until last and some fool polishes the side plate or part .002 inch to much and the stock stands proud and you have to turn around and chase your ass with the stock work. It seems to get even more convoluted when many fingers get digging into the pie.

It's nice to see that there are still a few folk out there that can make a go of it making top end stuff. Most people in this day and age have a tough enough time just making ends meet doing repairs and sales.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm basically a clumsy child. I do all the wood work, paying little attention to minor scratching on the metal. When stock is ready for checkering, I finish polishing t he metal..then, in this case, sent the parts I want re cased to Turnbulls. The barrels I rust blue myself. using Mark Lee products.

Agreed, I do not trust polishing to anyone else.. (take all the credit or all the blame)

This gun had it's own special issues polishing around the engraving without damage...I know you've been tnere!

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think they had a faulty gunsmiths mold made up about 40 or 60 years back and turned out a batch of bad bastards. I'm pretty sure that I was one of those defective ones. I haven't made a custom stock in probably 15 years. But toward the end of my wood working career, I would turn away customers who came in with pre-done metal work or wanted me to farm out metal work to another shop. It always seemed to turn into a gong show or a rotating cluster fuck. The finish product always eventually came out to the satisfaction of the customer and myself. But I would often eventually end up refinishing or sometimes totally remaking what was sent out. The bad part was that those jobs never ended up being money makers. Working from quotes and not open invoices never ends well with custom work.
There are guys out there who can work in clean rooms , wearing white cotton gloves, gay particle masks and inlet the crown jewels into a slab of marble with nary a flinch. But I was never one of those silly bastards.

coffee Sad, so sad, poe me. No, I really don't care. lol

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane, do you use the express or slow blue?

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Breath-taking beauty!

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
Duane, do you use the express or slow blue?

I keep them both on hand..my "go to" bluing