New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRNO ZG 47 safety
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there any way to reverse the backwards safety on a ZG47, or do I just have to learn to live with it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
xausa,

Ed Lapuor in Bremerton, WA comes to mind. He makes safeties for a few of the good ones. Contact and ask. I could be wrong. It's happened before, just call home and ask my wife.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:
xausa,

Ed Lapuor in Bremerton, WA comes to mind. He makes safeties for a few of the good ones. Contact and ask. I could be wrong. It's happened before, just call home and ask my wife.

Luck,

Stephen

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we will just take your word on the fact that you're not always right. Calling your wife and getting a comprehensive list that would rival the Gutenberg Bible in size, isn't entirely necessary in this situation and we will wave that option with righteous indignation !

popcorn Just sayin!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Frith:
xausa,

Ed Lapuor in Bremerton, WA comes to mind. He makes safeties for a few of the good ones.

For that matter, I believe I could substitute an ordinary Mauser 98 bolt shroud with low scope safety, but I happen to like the original safety, which, unfortunately, like that of the 1916 Newton, works the opposite from those on every other rifle I own. I have never taken either safety apart, and am curious to know if a modified lever would somehow do the trick.

I have used several of Ed's safeties on BRNO ZKK rifles with complete satisfaction, but those ZKK safeties are not mounted on the original bolt shroud as that of the ZG 47 is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I treat these "wrong way about" BRNO ZKK rifle safeties as if I were shooting a Winchester 94.

Think PULL BACK TO "COCK" AND push forward to "DE-COCK".

So when shooting I say to myself that I need to cock the gun before I fire it.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several ZGs and as many 21/22 series Brnos over the years. I ALWAYS have the safeties replaced with 3-pos. units meant for the Mauser 98 and any good smith can do this.

I have seen them modded to take other Mauser safeties, the FN, is one example.

My last ZG is now building, another 9.3x62 on a polished action with Benchmark sts bbl and Micky MKX stock,should be done by late Sept.

These Brnos are superb actions, but, after owning several, I do not much care for the ZKK series, but, do like the CZ-550, when customized.

I do not think that reversal is possible on the stcck ZG safety, and if it were, I expect the costs of doing so would exceed those of installing a 3-pos. replacement. So, to me, it is not worth the time, cost and effort. YMMV, of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know. I tried that, but in Bulgaria on a driven boar hunt I had two yearlings cross in front of me, as I was sitting there with the safety already off. Of course, I pushed it forward when I shouldered the rifle, a ZKK 602.

It's those occasions when you don't have time to override muscle memory that I'm concerned about. And, I don't own a Winchester Model 94.

I shoot double guns with single triggers and with double triggers and never have a problem. I shoot autoloaders and slide action shotguns, but never forget to pump the slide action when the time comes, or attempt to pump the autoloader after each shot.

But "forward off, rearward on" seems to be stubbornly established in my memory banks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Backward safety and the mind set. I hunted for years with a high wall 25 Epps and then switched to #1 .375 after being encouraged by a griz. About tore my thumb off trying to cock the 'hammer' on the Ruger in order to bust a surprise coyote on the first morning of deer season. The coyote got away but the one that was following him was not as fortunate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the looks of the ZG safety, but there is really no practical way to "reverse " the function.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I really like the looks of the ZG safety, but there is really no practical way to "reverse " the function.

Thanks, Duane, that's not the answer I was hoping for, but coming from you, I consider it definitive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Duane KNOWS his stuff and a matched pair of ZGs, with his folding rear peep, front Euro Sourdough, Clayton Nelson's rings, super Juglans Regia, stock and fine, cut rifled bbl. in 9.3x62 at 22", would be a dream to have him build.

I have a pair of originals in 9.3 with Satterlee safeties, synthetic stocks and Talley QDs with 4x Conquests and they are superb rifles.