THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing Win 97 Takedown Barrel Extension?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On the Win 97 takedown shotgun there is an extension where it attaches to the receiver. I can see that it's splined for alignment on the barrel but cannot see how it's attached to the barrel. It looks like a press fit and there's one set-screw type piece.

Anyone now exactly how this piece is attached and how it can be removed?

Thanks,

Sam B.
http://www.fireflyarms.com

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First if you are replacing the barrel and fitting it to the action you will need some special tools.

These parts are delicate and can be crushed before you know it. I suggest you have a shop that has the tooling fit these parts.

Heading reamer to fit the chamber and if you replace the chamber ring the headspace.

Special shaped wrench and plug to fit the Extension takedown #12297

The steps to remove the extension are as follows

Remove the adjusting sleeve lock screw #3997 on the side of the extension.

Remove the adjusting sleeve lock # 3897 that is dove tailed in place and sits at an angle to the ajusting sleeve.

Unscrew the adjusting sleeve, take down # 3797. This is the large threaded portion you see. Some times you need another special wrench to unscrew this if it has been dammaged or oil has dried up in the joint.

Now you are ready to remove the extension. Make sure you have cast a good fitting set of barrel vise blocks. The Winchester barrels are soft and you can crush the barrel very easy. Then insert the plug into the extension to prevent crushing the tube area. Then put the special wrench around the extension and unscrew.

The extenison is then fitted to the new barrel.

If you are not replacing the chamber ring then,
the barrel shank is fitted to the action for length.

The adjusting sleeve is indexed and the lock re installed and the lock screw reinstalled. final adjusting of the adjusting sleeve is done.

Now the rear of the chamber is reamed with the special tapered chamber reamer from the muzzle end.

Reassemble the rest of the forearm parts.

James Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AGI videos are hit or miss, but the one on Win 97s is great. The old guy has had tooling for changing barrels his whole carrer.

I got some basket case 97 and a half, and made myself one and made a profit on the extra parts. I would still be figuring it out without that video.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote