New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel vise
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to pull the barrel on a standard Mauser action using the Wheeler Barrel Vise with oak wood blocks and rosin. I've tightened it until the blocks split and haven't budged the barrel at all.

Is this vise suitable for pulling really tight barrels in the first place? Does someone have a better insert than oak blocks? (I'm wondering about machined aluminum for instance?)

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 39 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
That vise looks like a joke.
Machined aluminum blocks would help.
My personal choice was the Brownell's vise. Works great on even the tightest of barrels.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
That vise looks like a joke.
Machined aluminum blocks would help.
My personal choice was the Brownell's vise. Works great on even the tightest of barrels.

Which one? Brownell's sells 3 that I see - one looks identical in design to the Wheeler. Thanks.

Posts: 39 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry if this takes it off topic, does anybody that posts on this forum have a Burgess vise? According to Tom he only made a few as the cost was so high most didn't want one, I'd love some pictures for my reference files. (I wonder who ended up with his prototype action wrench, sounded like he had just come up with and made the one there in the last couple years before he passed, somebody somewhere lucked out).

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
This one Barrel vise

Years ago I copied it in the shop as I had more time then money. I also built an action wrench, a bolt welding fixture. a copy of the forester universal sight jig and Misc other stuff.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel isn't turning in the vise that
isn't yourproblem. Use a good action wrench and
give it a good rap with a hammer.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hawkins:
If the barrel isn't turning in the vise that
isn't yourproblem. Use a good action wrench and
give it a good rap with a hammer.

Oh believe me, I have - proper wrench, big hammer, lots of hits.

Thanks, KC - I see the one you mean now.

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting to save or reuse the barrel?

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is mine. One thing, I made it myself and use aluminum buashings and rosin and a 4lb hammer. You need to remove the rear sight to get a better purchase on the barrel and the busing needs to be a good fit.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...371088561#7371088561

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see you don't skimp on the hammer, looking at the one in background.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's the set up I made, like Jim I found the longer vise holds tighter on stubborn military barrels. I turned the bushing to match the step in the barrel. I like how Jim mounted that one.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mad_jack02:
Are you wanting to save or reuse the barrel?

No - do you want it? It's from a 1909 Argentine carbine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also noticed that Brownell's sells milled steel blocks that will accept their aluminum barrel bushings - would that be acceptable in the Wheeler vise? The Wheeler is massive - I don't think it's the problem so much as the wooden block silliness is. But if others have tried it and found that setup inadequate, I'll go with a different vise.

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Maybe you've already tried heat???...and temp stick/paste to control the amount of heat.

I've had a few problems with Remington barrels and a few cycles of heat then ice cubes then putting a heavy torque on my wrench handle and giving the RECEIVER a good whack or two with a brass hammer usually will work.

Sometimes even tightening will start the process of breaking loose the threads.

Rust/sealant/years/shooting torque etc can glue a barrel in like no tomorrow.

Last extreme resort is to cut an annulus/groove around the shoulder of the barrel, NOT the receiver...leave a few thou "washer" between the barrel and the receiver....that will relieve any built up stresses usually...never had a barrel NOT come off by doing that.

I copied Brownells barrel vise except made it a bit larger, used 3/4" "Cat" cutting edge bolts, 1"x36" Titanium tubing handle I caged from a work sight many years ago and use brass or alum bushings with any kind of paper shims that happens to be close at hand...Postits work great with that bit of sticky to keep them in place.

Woodhunter...that's a NICE setup...shows the great esthetic difference between a professional and us "junk yard dogs". Cool Big Grin

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is mine. I used Jim Kobe's idea to put a couple punch press springs between the jaws to spread them when I loosened the bolts. Haven't had any barrels that were too hard to remove yet.

The clamp bolts are not threaded to the vise. They are heat treated socket headed bolts from through the bottom.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:

What are we checking for in this photo?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Westpac

quote:
What are we checking for in this photo?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Angular torque compressionary alignment of the threads to the bolt helix.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry,
You have too much time on your hands. Get in the shop and make chips.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
Three things.

Seat the barrel, put the bolt in, place the indicator. Wiggle the bolt back and forth and we know how much clearance we have between the end of the bolt and the barrel recess. You need some clearance, benchrest guys don't want much but the DGR needs more.

If your calculations were correct and you are familiar with the amount you lose to crush, you can do this on the run. A dial indicator should not be needed at any point during assembly. This should have already been calculated and determined long before joining the two.

quote:
Then put in a new unfired case and do the same. Tells us how much free headspace we have over the cartridge..

Then put in a go gauge. Tells us how much free headspace we have over a gauge.

Same thing. Don't need a dial indicator for this. Careful planning, precise calculations and experience will tell you what you will end up with long before the two are joined. No surprises.

quote:
Yup, headspace over the case and over the gauge are not the same.

That's why there are go/no go gauges. It doesn't matter what the case say's, to stay out of trouble you set your chamber depth to the gauge.

For the most part, setting headspace and determining clearances are fairly simple processes and do not require dial indicators. I just want folks to know that dial indicators are not needed at all during barrel assembly.

quote:
Don't forget to lube the barrel threads!!
Agreed!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Kerry,
You have too much time on your hands. Get in the shop and make chips.
Butch

I am I am.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Your set-up looks like it could save on babysitting costs.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote