Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone used Duracote??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted
I'm am re-doing a rifle and have decided on duracoat as a finish on the metal parts(not the stock). I would prefer cerakote but this is something I want to do myself. Anyway anyone had any experiance with this stuff? Any tips on using it? This rifle will be my first bedding job, first trigger install, and first finishing job. sofa anybody's guess as to how it will come out, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I haven't used duracoat but have used KG Gunkote, which has held up quite well for a working rifle. I'd recommend it as a finish.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've used Gunkote for years with good results. Key issue is prep. With it if you have a barreled action it is hard to get it in the oven to cure. Smiler I made a little long oven to handle my barrels.

I bought Duracoat last year to try and it is still sitting on the shelf.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look in the Midway catalog (I believe), they have Cerama Coat, which is the same thing as Cerakote, again, I believe. If it is not Midway, it is Brownells, but I think Midway. You can do it yourself, it is just another spray-on finish with heat curing.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Already bought the duracoat directly from the manufaturer (LCW). I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote