New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct Mauser Follower
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the correct follower to use for a 1908 Brazilian action being chambered in 10.75x68?

We will be using Sunny-Hill's standard 30-06 Bottom Metal with a mag box length of 3.400.

The 10.75x68 has a base diameter of .495 and shoulder diameter of .480.

So, do I use the stock 7x57 Follower and machine a larger "pocket" where the round sits?

Do I buy a different Follower that's a little longer and machine it to fit the 10.75x68 case?

If I buy a different follower what is the correct size to get? And where do I buy it?

It was my understanding that Mauser used a specific Follower for each case. Or at least for most of the different cases.
I would think that the 7x57 & 6.5x57 would share the same Follower.

I'm confused. Frowner

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would a .375 follower work if cut down to fit tne 30-06 mag?

Allen

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
You might just try a 30-06 follower if you can find one.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex21,
That's not a bad idea. At worst case the "pocket" might need opened up a bit to match the 10.75x68 case?

Any ideas as to where to find a Mauser 30-06 Follower?

I looked at Brownell's but they only offer a Follower made from Aluminum non specific caliber, and I want steel.

Brownell's does offer a Follower for the .375H&H in steel. That was the reason for thinking about cutting one down. Realistically probably not the best idea.

Allen

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely
Brownell's does offer a Follower for the .375H&H in steel. That was the reason for thinking about cutting one down. Allen

This is exactly what I did with my 09 arg bottom metal & .458WM

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you cannot locate a 30-06 Mauser follower, how about one of these? Or one of these if you think you'd want to try a magnum follower instead?

You may also find these here.

These aren't Mauser brand parts, but I have to assume that the interior geometry of the magazine box on both rifles should be close to the same and therefore you ought to be able to swap followers. Seems like I remember a friend had used a Rem 700 .308 follower in a Mauser he built and it worked without any hassles.

Hope I could help.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.newenglandcustomgun.com lists followers for sale. Check under Accessories or Toy Box. Made by Recknagel.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Have any of you tried Ruger or Winchester 458 Magnum followers? Similar to Mr. Bosley's quiery, I'm building a 416 Ruger in a 1908 Brazilian, and would like to know what works in your experience.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote