Find
Notify
Tools

Rapid Fire: PF or CRF?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Dare I even broach the PF vs CRF topic... Well, anyway, I have a few questions:

1) Given that most (?) semi and fully auto rifles and pistols are pushfed, is there any reason to believe that a pushfed bolt gun is "better" is a rapid fire situation than a CRF bolt gun?

2) Is CRF a virtue in itself or is it the fact that most CRF bolt rifles have a large extractor? The two are distinct technologies, at least in principle, are they not?

3) Is CRF a virtue in itself or is it the fact that most CRF bolt rifles do NOT have a plunger-style ejector?

4) Is it fair to say that any unreliable feeding should be blamed on the magazine design and not on the action style itself?

Just wondering...

one of us
posted Hide Post
In any properly built firearm, regardless of design, the single most problematic factor is human error. The less human factor a firearm has, the more reliable it becomes.

When a firearm can automatically cycle in 1/10 of a second, it does not need the features of a manually operated bolt rifle. Auto malfunctions are usually caused by dirt, broken parts or bad ammo, not human error. The features that set the 98 apart from all others are there because Paul Mauser wanted to idiot-proof the bolt rifle.

There are CRF rifles that do not have massive claw extractors. The mannlicher-schoenauer and the new Sako come to mind.

There are many claw extractors out there that are not CRF. I have seen Rugers and Winchesters that push the cartridge into the chamber and then the claw snaps over the rim. Most of these claws are not self-locking as well.

There are no plunger style extractors, I think you meant to say ejector.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
KurtC:

Yes, ejector. Typo. Ooops.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One important difference on a dangerous game rifle is that the CRF will operate at any angle and should even feed when held upside down. On a normal day of hunting this doesn't amount to much, but it might if an elephant was getting ready to stomp your butt. Not a likely thing to happen, won't make any difference elk hunting, but I still like the extra reliability of the CRF rifles. In a .270 or 7mm the Sako type action works great, and the old ones at least are smooth as glass.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
It's interesting you mention this. I have tried these experiements, undoubtedly looking rather foolish in the process. In the end, using an average to fast action stroke, the PF fed in any position I could put it in, including when I was running or crawling.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep...all my Remingtons will feed upside down and probably underwater as well. And I have never had one have a cartridge "fall" out or escape when I was working the bolt.

That said, I'm taking two Model 70s when I go back to Namibia. I just prefer how the action "feels" when it's worked. How's that for a subjective decision!

Joe

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
If both are working properly, I don't see how one action would be 'faster' in terms of working the bolt, than the other...

the SMLE worked faster than the Mauser because of other design functions, as well..Like how much the bolt had to throw, and where the bolt handle was placed...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote