New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Lowering" the rear sight on a 1911
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I have a 1942 issue M1911 that sometime in the past was given a somewhat aggressive polishing and reblue, with the result that the gun shoots a couple inches high at 30 yards. At this point in time I would rather not replace the front sight, is it feasible to lower the rear sight height and deepen the notch? Or maybe I should rephrase that to clarify that part of the word "feasible" should mean "not look like junk". The front sight is .088" tall, the rear sight is .140 tall and the base of the notch appears to be about .103"

Thanks, if it has been done tastefully before I'll have a couple more questions as to the best way to deepen the notch, how to best cut the relief on the back of the sight, etc. And after all this, if someone already makes a lower sight that will work without modifying the slide I would be interested in learning about that too.

Thanks again guys!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be best and much easier to swap out front sight.

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
I have a 1942 issue M1911 that sometime in the past was given a somewhat aggressive polishing and reblue, with the result that the gun shoots a couple inches high at 30 yards.

Use a 6:00 hold.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a load with a little higher velocity or a lighter bullet or both and it will shoot lower.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thin file, cut and try.

sofa

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How high does it shoot at 50 yards???

2" high at 30 yards seems near perfect to me.

I cannot stand a gun that shoots low.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote