Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil lug on a 500 A-Square barrel??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi.
I've just got a good offer on a 500 a2 barrel for my Brno ZKK602. This rifle is chambered for 460 Wby as is, so there wount be much to change.
BUT:
Is it possible to let out the recoil lug on the barrel or does that HAVE to be there. The stock is made of laminate wood, has two recoil bolts trough it, and is bedded.
The problem is to make this fit exactly in the same spot as the 460 barrel. I dont want to bed the whole thing again. I want a switch-barrel system here.
Can the rifle be fired without this lug, or will the whole stock go to h...................????

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On 458 lott and up (including 460 wby) it is advisable to have a 2nd recoil lug on the barrel. The purpose is to distribute forces applied on the stock over a wider area. Otherwise, the action lug acts like an axe, splitting the stock lengthwise. The cross bolts help as they minimize outward bend of the wood.

I would give you 2:1 odds that your stock will be ruined within 50 shots of full power 500A2 ammo.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
My odds are 5-1 you will wreck your stock without a barrel mounted lug with full power 500 A2 loads.. Look at the picture I posted on the 600 OK. Second lugs are not difficult to make or install. If you want one send me an E-mail as I'm making a few for the 600 project.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote