THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a barrel re-blued ... where to send it?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My nephew managed to rust the outside of his Grandfather's rifle barrel pretty bad. He brought it to me thinking I would help him get it fixed so he would not have to say anything. Following a lecture on taking care of other people's property, responsibility, and integrity I made him fess up this weekend. My Nephew will be paying to have the barrel re-blued.

What I need now is a list of places I could send the barrel or even the barreled action out to be re-blued. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a bit sympathetic to him, since it can happen to even the best of us. My model 27-2 S&W had some bad rust, my fault due to putting it in the closet of my mobile home just after moving in. Didn't realize it was a real humid spot and the next time I went to get it out I couldn't believe it had rusted like that. Never had a problem before.

That said, Half Moon Rifles in Montana does good work, only place I have used but he was able to reblue the band on my 375 and it looks just like the rest of the factory bluing.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to one of your local gunsmiths and ask to see some of his work.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the "smiths" in my area are mainly parts replacers. Those that do repair bluing use the wipe on solutions. I was wanting something more durable and nicer than that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had a gunsmith do a complete reblue job so I can't make a recommendation. But you might give Brownells a call and ask them for a good gunsmith. They sell blueing supplies. Hope this helps.

Posts: 72 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
54JNoll, I'm just outside of KC and I do that kind of work. Where are you in MO?

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 3.5 to 4 hours away down by Fort Leonard Wood.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
http://www.hotflashrefinishing.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Im not sure if they will re-finish a barreled action that they havent worked on, but E.R. Shaw does caustic blueing for $80.00. Just dont expect to get it right back. They have been known to be sloooow.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't a local guy to do it, Hotflash does very nice work with a pretty quick turnaround time.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Flash is on vacation, they are fast and resonable. I have one to go out so was going to try these guys:

http://www.craftguard.com/index.htm

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I only know two who have used Glenrock but both were pleased.

Glenrock

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craftguard has done a lot of work for me. They are a good value.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote