New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger handgun repair
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a friend who has an "old model" Ruger Single Six.
It was sent back to the factory years ago and had the transfer bar system installed.

It has a problem.

When the hammer is pulled back, the transfer bar moves straight up (it should tilt back a little) and hits on the bottom of the firing pin and the hammer can't be pulled back any further unless you point the muzzle up and gravity will then move the transfer bar back behind the firing pin and the gun can be cocked.

He said he called Ruger and they said not to send the revolver back to the company, just send the pin. Is this normal?
I assume the pin is spring loaded and it pushes the transfer bar rearward so it will clear the firing pin.

Would this pin be something that is easily (not complicated) removed?

Thanks for your inputs.

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck White:
I have a friend who has and "old model" Ruger Single Six.
It was sent back to the factory years ago and had the transfer bar system installed.

It has a problem.

When the hammer is pulled back, the transfer bar moves straight up (it should tilt back a little) and hits on the bottom of the firing pin and the hammer can't be pulled back any further unless you point the muzzle up and gravity will then move the transfer bar back behind the firing pin and the gun can be cocked.

He said he called Ruger and they said not to send the revolver back to the company, just send the pin. Is this normal?
I assume the pin is spring loaded and it pushes the transfer bar forward.

Would this pin be something that is easily (not complicated) removed?

Thanks for your inputs.

The base pin has a little spring loaded detent in the end that pushes against the transfer bar to prevent it from becoming lodged under the firing pin. If the problem suddenly occured, then something has jammed the detent in. Look for shavings, fouling and grit. Scrub the part with a tooth brush and try to manipulate the detent while immersed in solvent. If it's too jammed up, you can order a new base pin online.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i would call ruger back and explain you are not a gunsmith and feel that is reason you sent gun the first time and will be sending gun again for them to fix or bring it to local gunsmith

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote