Find
Notify
Tools

12ga double loose, fix??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I picked an Antique Belgian 12 ga double SxS at Auction arms. The gun looks great, but the action doesn't lock up tight. I'd like to keep the gun. What can I do to tighten things back up?? I've read about installing an oversized hinge pin. It is a box lock, dual chopper lumps with greaner cross bolt. The barrels have some side movement at the rear as well as some verticle movement. The action has a slight buzz when closed. Would the oversize pin do it or would I need to adjust the lumps or bar also??

Any help would be appreciated.

Learning as I go.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am no gunsmith, with that said I have the Browning
service book for the BSS, side by side, and the cure for a loose action is to build up the matting surfaces in the lock up zone by welding a bead then file (machine) to whatever tighness is acceptable.

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Installing a larger pin will be straightforward if the original was made to be removed. Otherwise, you'll have to drill out the old one. I suspect that the best route is to have the surface area of the lumps built up. There are numerous smiths who can do this and costs runs from a bit over $100 to about $300. Participants at Gunshop.com and shootingsportsman.com can provide phone numbers. Also, go over to Gunroom.com and look up the ad for Keith Kearcher; he just moved from Wash. to Oregon and is among the best.

Posts: 111 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote