THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Walnutt, the best wood for riflestocks?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I mean.. its seems "strange" that almost the prettiest wood, is also considered best for a rifle stock?

The woods attributes, needs to be less prone to warping, twisting in humid conditions, and take compression from recoil without shattering.

Beech seems to be a popular choice as well, in colder climates, Scandinavia and eastern Europe. Its not pretty, but though!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the "beholder". Just because it is traditional, doesn't always make it "best".

I have stocks made from birch, walnut, mesquite, cherry, maple and Hawaiian Koa. I think they all look just great. Some may not feel that way. They all function for the rifles they are intended for with no issues at all.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not; it is low on the list for a perfect stock wood. It is used only because it comes in various grain patterns which people like, and it is brown, which is a good military characteristic.
Case in point; birch stocks were used on M1 Rifles and Carbines in the 50s; proved to be much stronger than walnut. Better case; Germany went to laminated Beech in 1942, due to a walnut shortage. Those stocks are far stronger, but heavier, than walnut. Finland used Arctic Birch on their 91s, 27s, 28s, 39s, etc.
Of course, wishing the two basic walnut groups, there are myriad possible types of wood, from very soft to very hard and dense. All depending on where and how it is grown. Hence, the reason we use walnut; for its beauty, and good walnut is a very good material. Bad walnut, still looks good.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll challenge that for sure..Walnut is the best wood for a rifle stock, Good French, Russian, or most European walnut is pretty, its lighter than most other pretty wood, and its proven itself for a 100 years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Ppphhhtttt !

Basic American Fiberglass. If you want something unique, a chunk of blond kevlar or if you like nice figure get a pretty piece of quilted, black carbon fiber.
There is no perfect wood. Just a trade off between function and eye appeal that the particular individual can happen to live with.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes there is a perfect wood and the Germans developed it in 1941; laminated beech. Cheaper and far stronger than any walnut, and are far more stable. Walnut is definitely not the best wood when you consider all factors. Now, if you are only considering looks, then yes, it is.
Here is a test for you; take any walnut stock, along with birch, and laminated beech, and give it to a new Army private. Take it to bayonet practice, also practice butt strokes, and using it to break the soldier's fall, and also, shoot some rifle grenades from it. I already know which stock will fail first every time.
There is a reason why no military rifles use walnut stocks any more.
People let their emotions (eye candy appeal) override practicality.
Now, personally, I use walnut of all types, of course. It is the best. Sort of.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
We tried growing laminated beech here in Canada, but the growing season is to short. Quilted, Black Carbon Fiber plants are much hardier and can be grown in most labs and chemical plants!

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To decide what is best first define your idea of "Best." My opinion of "Best" changes with the application.

Walnut, especially European walnut (Juglans regia) has been the pick of the stock wood litter for centuries for several reasons. It is available. It works beautifully and will take a sharp edge. It is plenty strong enough. It finishes beautifully and has the most beautiful of grain. There is no other wood with this combination and there is just no equal to fine J. regia for a fully functional and attractive stock.

Other woods are fully satisfactory if not a s pretty and wood is frequently chosen for its availability, particularly for military arms. Northern countries use beech or birch, not because it is superior, but because it is what grows where they live and is available. It is also about as plain and uninteresting as it is possible to be which is fine for a military arm.

Laminated wood used by Germany was born of necessity and proved to be excellent even superior for military arms and it used what was available and conserved resources. It also is just not as pretty as walnut but can be very interesting with various selection of the laminates (usually garish in my estimation but occasionally attractive).

Other woods such as maples, fruit woods, exotic tropicals, etc can also make excellent stocks. Are they best? Perhaps. Again define "Best."

So just what is the "Best Wood?" Depends on your idea of best and it may change depending on purpose and it may well not correspond to my choice. Personally I'll take Walnut over any other, but that's what I would do. You can have other opinions and be just as correct.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I only use walnut. But, I only use curly maple for flintlocks, because that is best for them.
But I use Canadian grown plastic when the customer wants it, giving him the best stock. Hell, if it is on a rifle, it is the best.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I kinda like the thick walnut/maple laminates of the late '50's and 60's. Rock maple centerline then walnut then maple and lastly figured walnut. Layers about 1/2 in thick. Alternating grain. When shaped gives a natural camouflage pattern.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To decide what is best first define your idea of "Best." My opinion of "Best" changes with the application.

Exactly. Best for a heavy bench gun? Maybe maple or laminate. Best for a super light shotgun? Maybe mahogany. Best for a showpiece custom rifle? Almost certainly one of the well-figured walnuts. Best for a hundred thousand copies if your factory is in northern Finland? That would be Arctic Birch.

You have to say what it is you want your stock to be "best" at since not all "bests" can be covered by just one selection.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 02 July 2017 02:29Hide PostTo decide what is best first define your idea of "Best." My opinion of "Best" changes with the application.Walnut, especially European walnut (Juglans regia) has been the pick of the stock wood litter for centuries for several reasons. It is available. It works beautifully and will take a sharp edge. It is plenty strong enough. It finishes beautifully and has the most beautiful of grain. There is no other wood with this combination and there is just no equal to fine J. regia for a fully functional and attractive stock. Other woods are fully satisfactory if not a s pretty and wood is frequently chosen for its availability, particularly for military arms. Northern countries use beech or birch, not because it is superior, but because it is what grows where they live and is available. It is also about as plain and uninteresting as it is possible to be which is fine for a military arm

Strange that the Swedes and Swiss used Walnut, usually French Walnut, until supplies dried up due to the War's, Then going to mostly Beech, at least for the Swedes, I think one of my Swiss K 31 rifles is birch ( could be maple, but it and birch look the same). I have one Swede 96 and a Yugo Mauser that are both stocked in Elm.

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote