Find
Notify
Tools

Installing double set triggers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
What's the skinny on this? Is it a black art that only a few can do or is it a straight foward thing for an experienced gunsmith?

I've had a few older rifles with them and actually like the set up. NECG sells new ones and I was thinking about adding a set to a new project.

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure which unit you are talking about, but in general, if the trigger assembly is designed for a particular action, aside from maybe needing some adjustment to fit a particular stock/action configuration, the job should be fairly straight forward for an experienced gunsmith.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Malm,

Merry Christmas!
Terry

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Thanks Malm,

Merry Christmas!
Terry

Merry Christmas! We're going to try our hand at "festivus" this year. My sister in law, who use to give great gifts, went Jehovah's Witness on us this year to save a buck. I looked and nothing in her new found religion says anything about "Festivus". She'll be the first one the rest of the family will "air their grievances" against. We will hold the celebration at her house making her the "Head of the House". Big Grin

"Festivus is an annual holiday that was made popular by Reader's Digest writer and editor Daniel O'Keefe.[1] It was introduced to popular culture by O'Keefe's son Daniel, a scriptwriter for the TV show Seinfeld, on December 18, 1997, in the episode "The Strike".[2] (Season 9, Episode 10). The holiday is celebrated each year on December 23, but many people celebrate it at other times, often to avoid the Christmas rush.[2] The holiday includes novel practices such as the "Airing of Grievances", in which each person tells everyone else all the ways they have disappointed him/her over the past year. Also, after the Festivus meal, the "Feats of Strength" are performed, involving wrestling the head of the household to the floor, the holiday only ending if the head of the household is actually pinned."

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now Malm, I think you might have fun. Let us know how the party comes out.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bet it'll be a riot before the nights over with. You could probably sell tickets Big Grin

Terry

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Hi, Terry. there are two kinds. The older style is part of the trigger guard and the set hammer trips a kicker, like the muzzle loaders. There is a pretty tight tolerance in the bedding of the trigger guard for those.

The Kepplinger double trigger pins to the action as a complete unit like other aftermarket units and takes the risk outof mounting one, but you have to have a trigger bow with eonugh room for two triggers and you often have to mill the trigger slot for more room.

The easy way out, unless looks are the goal, is the Kepplinger single set trigger or a Canjar, but the Canjar isn't very "classic" looking.

Edited 12/24: Looks like the Kepplinger double is no longer available, at least that I can find on the net.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, with the older double set triggers, like the Rancunas, you had to open up the cut in the top of the trigger guard to fit the trigger. It may have been pinned too, to hold it in place.

Don