New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel a 22-250 to.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a Interarms Mark X very cheaply because of a very slight ring near the muzzle. It`s not visible from the outside, but you can feel it with a cleaning rod or see it with a strong light. So, since I`m pretty sure the 22-250 barrel is toast, what calibers can I rebarrel to without changing anything but the barrel. I`m thinking 250 Savage would work. How about .257 Roberts? Something light and easy to shoot for my son. The action and stock are in great condition.

[ 10-15-2002, 07:56: Message edited by: hoss101 ]

Posts: 284 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
Hoss,
You can do anything with a .470 diameter case.
250-257Roberts-7X57-308-30/06 or a whole host of others.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Why not cut the barrel back past the "ring", crown it and see how it shoots as a 22-250, or, set the barrel back and turning it into a 22-250 Ack Imp or even one of the Cheetas... Unless you just gotta rebarrel.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go for 260 Rem. if I were you. I'm thinking of the same.
This is a lightkicking cartridge with a number of bullets to choose from.
(6,5mm. bullet in a .308 Win. case)
Or simply put a .308 Win. barrel in it.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would either go for the 7mm08 or if it's possible (I assume it is as someone has suggested the 30/06 will fit)a 9.3x62 a caliber I would like to get myself one day. My other suggestion would be the 6.5x55 Swede this is a wonderful round and accurate as well as easy on barrels.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action is to short for a 30/06 but the 308 based cases would work just fine. I would go for a 260 AI or if you want more of a varmint round then how about a 6mm Rem.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Actually, the Interarms MX mauser action is labeled as "C" type action or "D" type which is either set up for Magnum use or Standard use. Either will accomodate long cartridges. The magazine may have a block installed in the one for the 22-250 but that can be removed so that longer 30-06 cartridges can be used. I've used types "C" and "D" actions for cartridges in both 375 H&H Ackley and 475 Ackley with only bolt face/extractor and feed rail modifcations needed. I even converted one to handle and feed the massive cased 338 KT round. So, your action can be used for anything... well, reasonable that is.

Malm

Malm

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
If you wanna go standard cal. 6.5x55 or 7mm-08..gr8 for a young shooter....or you can pick up a 260 barrel cheap and have it rechambered for a 6.5-284........if you reload and brass is readily available. I got Hornady brass. 129 gr. work well in my 1in9 twist.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote