New
Find
Notify
Tools

stutzen rifle accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i"ve been looking at a BSA stutzen stocked .300 win mag. i"m not going for a stutzen out of choice, but it"s cheap as it"s not a popular rifle or calibre(in the UK), and i think the dealer would just be glad to sell it.
2 questions: what kind of accuracy should i expect from a stutzen as opposed to a normal sporter,
how difficult would it be to cut down and float the fore end, and remove the nose cap assembly?
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the BSA Stutzen in 7x57 some years ago. It seemed to shoot around 1.5" with factory loads. They are decent rifles, but not premium quality. The schnable and grip cap are a nice rosewood, though.

Keep in mind that these have barrels around 20 inches, and there will be considerable muzzle blast from a .300 WinMag.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi Kurt,
The dealers ad shows it as having a 23 1/2" barrel, so that would be a bit tamer. I"ll be in England next week, and i might get to call and see the gun. It"s still just an idea though, i would like something bigger than my 308. I"m going after moose next year, and while i love my 308, another 30 or 40 grains of lead going 4 or 500 feet faster would be a nice feeling!
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a BSA Stutzen with a 23.5" barrel, but anything is possible. Make sure it is not a .30-06 that someone reamed out. Here is one with the 20.5" barrel.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=50670936

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
i"ve been looking at a BSA stutzen stocked .300 win mag. i"m not going for a stutzen out of choice, but it"s cheap as it"s not a popular rifle or calibre(in the UK), and i think the dealer would just be glad to sell it.
2 questions: what kind of accuracy should i expect from a stutzen as opposed to a normal sporter,
how difficult would it be to cut down and float the fore end, and remove the nose cap assembly?
good shooting

I assume you are referring to what we call a Mannlicher-style" stock on a relatively short-barreled rifle??

If so, I have owned three M/S carbines with 20" barrels, two in .270 and one a 7X57mm. One of the .270's and the 7X57 would shoot 1.25" 5-shot groups @ 100 yards with ammo developed for them. The other .270 was good for about 1.5", but was not extensively tested for target accuracy. It killed plenty of game, though!

I believe I'd want at least a 24" barrel on a .300 Win. Mag.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote