THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone have pictures of a Lothar Walther #5130 barreled rifle?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have pictures of a Lothar Walther #5130 barreled rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm considering ordering a 9.3 cal barrel from Lothar Walther in their #5130 (Mauser Type E) contour; does anyone have a picture of a rifle built with this contour? Action would either be a JC Higgins Model 50 or a pre- 64 Model 70.

Posts: 709 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lothar Walther in their #5130

Someone posted a photo of a barreled action with the Type E barrel a year or more ago. It looked very nice but there was some concern about the contour being too light.

It's a good look on a Mauser but PLEASE don't put a stepped barrel on a M70. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Was it new_guy that posted that picture? Not sure.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this contour too light for the 9.3x62 cartridge? Or is it heavy enough that I should go with a bigger caliber?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It is patterned after the original contour for English makers, 40-45 caliber. I did one in .308 and had to shrink key dimensions to get it proportional to the caliber.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
This bbl is a 5130.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures guys, I am getting set to order one tomorrow and I just have to decide on caliber.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this contour too light for the 9.3x62 cartridge

That is a perfect barrel for a 9.2x63 or a 9.2x64 for that matter.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
New Guy, who makes that rear sight and base that fits so perfectly? Is it a banded rear base or an island?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
It looks like the NECG banded island with integral barrel lug. I think they sell one sized especially for the "E" pattern LW barrel.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
New Guy, who makes that rear sight and base that fits so perfectly? Is it a banded rear base or an island?

It's made by Recknagel and it's banded. Like tiggertate, I thought there was a specific part number for this barrel, but after talking with both NECG and Lothar Walther, neither seemed to know what the other was talking about relative to this contour of barrel.

After combing through the Recknagel catalog, I found there wasn't one sized for an exact fit so I ordered it undersized and had it bored to fit the barrel shank when it was installed.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have thought of using it on a .376 Steyr, or....a 9,3x70 EM.

ld

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate,

Could you please explain which key dimensions you had to shrink to get it proportional for a .308?

I'm thinking about using this barrel pattern for a 7x57.

Thanks,
Brian

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Woodall at Lothar Walther told me via email that they would "scale" this contour for any caliber between 243 and 458.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 270Model70:
Tiggertate,

Could you please explain which key dimensions you had to shrink to get it proportional for a .308?

I'm thinking about using this barrel pattern for a 7x57.

Thanks,
Brian

I basically left it stock to the end of the island shank and increased that radius few thous so that I could taper to a .660 muzzle. My barrel is only 20" long so if I started with the original diameter at the end of the island, the taper to .660 would have been too pronounced.

That was a very complicated way to say that I followed Woody's recommendation, lol.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's made by Recknagel and it's banded. Like tiggertate, I thought there was a specific part number for this barrel, but after talking with both NECG and Lothar Walther, neither seemed to know what the other was talking about relative to this contour of barrel.

I could have sworn that Woody told me that they sized this barrel to fit the largest banded rear sight from NECG. It has been a couple of years since I ordered mine.
bewildered

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote