Find
Notify
Tools

Savage actions and feeding BR cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Has anyone gotten a Savage short-actioned magazine to feed a 30BR reliably? Lots of information on modifications to a Rem700 magazine follower and box ... but has anyone done it with a Savage action and magazine follower/box? Looking to rechamber a new Stevens 200 currently in 308Win into a 30BR to "experiment" with the cartridge.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Check them out at www.savageshooters.net one of those guys have probably done it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank,
No, even on that site it seems that only single-shots have been put together. I'm going to put some dummy rounds together and see how they feed. Might also try some of the US suppliers of Savage "go-fast" parts as I'm sure a modified magazine follower etc would be available somewhere.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred from Sharp Shooter Supply has told me that he was unable to get the BR cartridges to feed through the standard Savage magazine. He did say that it worked through the new, centerfeed magazines they are now using. I am not familiar with this mag, though, having only seen one rifle with it at the range. It is a detachable magazine (what some people call a "clip").

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link from Mike Bryants site on altering a 700 mag to feed the BR case. Other than center feed their doesn't seem to be a 100% soulution. I did a 6BR on a 700 22-250 and so far it feeds ok without any modificaion however the owner uses it single shot mostly so I can't give a real good evaluation. On a 700 you need to round the sharp corner on the upper right of the reciever where the raceway meets the lug recess. Like ackley cases the short BR case flips out and catches that corner making extracting catchy.

http://www.bryantcustom.com/articles/6BRMagazine.htm

Posts: 322 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK - I have a 110 Savage F action and have a .338 Whisper barrel set up for the 7mm Rem BR ctge. necked out to .338 which is the version 2 .338 Whisper round. I put two rounds in the standard mag (gun is unfinished) and found it wouldn't feed as the rounds nosed down. I think that with the rounds at the rear of a long action magazine they will feed tip up instead of tip down if they are raised up with some kind of globner fit (glued) onto the forward portion of the magazine follower.

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I agree with the suggestion that the new "Phoenix" single stack magazine system would be the way to go. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote