New
Find
Notify
Tools

22lr to 22mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
how involved is this.I have a marlin lever action 22 lr would like to change it to 22 mag whats it going to take to do it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, first you need a 224 barrel..most RF barrels are .223. Dont' know which lever action you are contemplating for this conversion and if you MAY be able to buy the needed parts.

Within those parameters,. still sounds like you'd need to really analyze this

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Can't be done I say. Get a new rifle.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NEW RIFLE

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
NEW RIFLE

tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
No dont listen to all those nay sayers!
Please go on and take lots og pics, curious minds want to know.

How are you going to make an action intended for a 1" round feed a 1.35" round?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here's why; you need new barrel, bolt, magazine tube, all the internal feeding mechanism, and new lever and probably a new frame (which you can't get anyway); adding up to 200% of the cost of a new rifle.
I am all for conversions, but this one makes no sense. Sell it and buy a mag rifle

Administrator
posted Hide Post
You lot are not very helpful at all!

We converted a Ruger Number One from 458 Winchester Magnum to 460 Weatherby Magnum and then to 223 Remington!

In fact after the conversion, we could shoot both 460 Weatherby and 223 Remington rounds in it interchangeably clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

We converted a Ruger Number One from 458 Winchester Magnum to 460 Weatherby Magnum and then to 223 Remington!

In fact after the conversion, we could shoot both 460 Weatherby and 223 Remington rounds in it interchangeably clap

How, barrel insert? You can't stuff a 223 round in the Wby chamber and expect it to work, or are you talking swapping barrels for each caliber?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ahh... but the OP would like to convert a lever action rifle to a round some 35% longer. Now that's a feat i would like to see, so dont be so negative y'all!

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming this was written tongue and cheek. So hard to tell on the internet though, that's why I always utilize plenty of smiley faces when sarcasm is in play Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:

How, barrel insert? You can't stuff a 223 round in the Wby chamber and expect it to work, or are you talking swapping barrels for each caliber?

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
quote:

Ahh... but the OP would like to convert a lever action rifle to a round some 35% longer. Now that's a feat i would like to see, so dont be so negative y'all!

Exactly, it would be far easier and less expensive to buy a new/used rifle.

Back in the day when those Romanian .22 lr trainers were only $59, I'd rechamber and open the boltface and make .22 Magnums out of them. Didn't want to fuss with converting them to still be magazine fed, so I fired them single shot.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What we wanted to do is get people to shoot the 460Weatherby, but had very few takers.

So we took a T/C Contender barrel in 223 and turned it down to the shape of the 460 round, and made it into an insert.

So we would put that insert in, and get someone to shoot it a few rounds, then get him distracted for a minute while we take the insert out, and load a 460 round instead of a 223!

The reaction was absolutely stunning!

Shame we did have video cameras then rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You, Sir, are a devious prankster of a fellow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). Is the action long enough? I have made no measurements nor am inclined to. If the action won't "work" the cartridge... You want to single load?
#2). Long rifle is usually .222 and Magnum .224 and many ".22" barrels were less sturdy steel... Yes, the bullet will "swage" down but how long will the barrel have any accuracy/ before it wears out?
#3). Who will do the work. You got this kind of money and the inclination to spend it? I can probably be done by a master gunsmith but it won't be free. A 2nd rifle made in magnum probably better idea and a TON cheaper. Happy trails.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
We used to play a trick much the same Saeed, although much simpler and much cheaper. We had an old H&R Topper, single shot 2-3/4 inch 12 gauge shotgun. Some cowboy had long determined that the thing would hold together when fired with 3 inch rifled slugs. Of course the thing roared like a lion and kicked like a mule and the hard Bakelite butt plate usually left a bruise shaped exactly like the squirrel eating the acorn which was engraved on it, on the shooters shoulder which lasted for a month or more. All of us had fired it at least once in some state of drunken dishevelment. Usually on someones double-dog-ass-dare or a bet of sorts. But we had a lot of trouble getting sane victims to give it a go. We finally lucked into one of those Savage, four-tenner barrel inserts for it. The trick was simple. We would let one guys under-growed, 10 year old son shoot a few pop cans with it using 2-1/2 inch 410 loads. Then someone would offer to let some hero shoot a few as well. Of course in the heat of distraction the insert would be pulled out and the gun would be loaded with one of those elephant slugs. How the stock on that old gun held together is still a mystery to me after all these years. The gun would literally LEAP out of the shooters hands and cartwheel off into the ground 5 or 10 feet behind him.

A very fun thing which kept simple minds amused until everyone in the country had either heard about it or fallen for it. LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Here's one of the 22 / 22 magnum conversion kits Tom. Buy it and then take Bills wood and sights and mount them on the kit.

PRESTO ! Instant 22 Magnum conversion. No muss, no fuss, just cost. But less cost than building one a part at a time. lol

https://www.gunsamerica.com/95...2-W-M-R-F-22-Mag.htm

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So we would put that insert in, and get someone to shoot it a few rounds, then get him distracted for a minute while we take the insert out, and load a 460 round instead of a 223!

Your friends must really love you.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote