New
Find
Notify
Tools

94/96/38 Swedes vs. 98's
 Login/Join

<Doc Garnett>
posted
What are the specific characteristics of Mauser 98's that most accept as being superior to the Swedish Mausers? Thanks.
-- Doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
The swede's lack the third locking lug on the bolt! The M98's are larger and stronger.

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quite so! However the Swede is not to be ignored, it's a smaller cartridge and renown for it's accuracy and mild recoil. It probably doesn't need the third lug in it's original configuration. For a big boomer sporter conversion, the aces are with the Mauser 98. For a darn accurate as original military rifle, the Swede is hard to beat. My 1896 Carl Gustav (mfg. 1919) is still a finely crafted beauty and well outshoots most of the scoped rifles on the range.

A matter of what you want it for and what (if anything) you want to do with it.

Good Luck!

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
<HammerMan>
posted
The 98 is called a large ring mauser. The action is longer and the front ring is larger also. The 98 will generally handle more pressure than the 96 mauser. I love my swede, but I've got a .270win and a .280rem made from Czech 98 actions that will out perform the swede. With heavier bullets bullets too!

<jthessen>
posted
Doc
The 96 cocks on closing (can be altered) and has double the striker distance, not sure if it actually doubles the lock time.

//Jens

<Doc Garnett>
posted
Thanks for responding. More questions: Doesn't the Swede have as "much steel" in the front ring as, say, a Remington 700? Why can't it handle the pressure of a .270? I've seen Swedes rebarreled to .22-250 and .308. Were these likely Husqvarna made actions, which are reputed to be harder than C. Gustafs and Mauser Oberndorfs? Is it a matter of hardening? Is there a difference (vs. the 98) in provisions for escaping gas from a ruptured gas?
Re the cartridge, itself: Loaded to modern pressure levels and chambered in "modern" actions, such as Ruger, Winchester, Remington, what velocities ( approx.) can be obtained with 140 gr. bullets?
Thanks again.
Regards,
-- Doc

<stans>
posted
Advancements in the alloying of steel makes a difference as does the heat treating process. Just because to pieces of steel are the same thickness does not mean they are equal in strength. The alloy used in more modern firearms is far more refined and contains less carbon than in older firearms. Heat treating processes have also improved and combining better steel with better heat treatment yeilds stronger actions that use less metal. The 94/96 and 98 Mausers were designed with alloys with relatively high amounts of carbon and were heat treated as such. It is unwise to push these actions beyond their limits. If you want a large caliber, high pressure action, choose one that will be safe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

Re: the performance of the cartridge. As might be expected, performance would fall right between the .260 and the 6.5-06.

Check the loading data online here. If memory serves they were getting either 2700 or 2800 fps with 140 grain bullets out of a sporter barrel.

Scott

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get 2800 fps out of a 29" Swede, using 140 grain Speers, and RL22, 48.1 grains, and 3.090" COL. The pressure of this load is appropriate for the Swede.

Love mine!

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
denton-

I may have to get in touch with you!!! I'd love to build a 96 Swede and just live in/near Roy!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
1_Point...

Nice to meet you. I work in Roy.

You might want to hit the gun show Saturday. Good Swedes can often be found there at $175-200. I favor the 29" barrel, which more than compensates for the slightly reduced loads. The brass disk on the stock gives you barrel condition, as of last trip through the arsenal... the numbers 1, 2, and 3 are together in a sector of the disk. Look for a triangular mark stamped on one of these numbers. No stamp means unissued, 1 means excellent condition, 2 means fair, and 3 means that the barrel would be replaced next time through. I spent the $50 to put a Mojo adjustable sight on the rear, and a few bucks for a taller front sight. That's all I've done to it, and it does 1 3/4" groups at 100 yards, with iron sights. I consider it an excellent deer and pronghorn machine, and it is a joy to shoot. Workmanship and finish are second to none. The Swedes are a delight!

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
The Swede does sound like a shooter!!! I am gonna have to miss the gun show this weekend!! I just can't justify the money spent with Xmas just around the corner, and I know I would spend some money!! My wife would like a rifle to shoot at longer ranges than the .22LR allow and to maybe hunt with and I thought that the Swede would be just the ticket!! However, she REALLY likes stainless guns!!